Is Greenville SC ever going to upgrade?

jself1982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
South Carolina
I know the lineup and service is better here than most, but when are we going to see digital simulcasting or some more HD channels or some more new channels in general. Rumor has it, Charter is going broke fast. Maybe that explains the shortage on DVR's!!! Or maybe that explains why Charter here is not so fast at adding channels, or maybe that explains why our 24 hr service center in Simpsonville is not even open 24 hrs anymore!!??!! You never hear of TimeWarner or Comcast doing things like this!! -- I wish they would sell this area to someone like them--at least we'd get new channels and up-to-date service and csr's that know what there talking about!!

Just got Fox HD and still don't have the other locals in HD, even the mom/pop's cable companies has those services!

I had Charter for a couple of years before I upgraded my TV to HD. Charter had very minimal offerings at that point (and no DVR), so I installed Voom, that was terrific (though also no DVR).

When Voom shut down I reordered Charter cable because it seemed like a cheaper option than DBS, and it didn't require a contract. I had Charter "HD" service with their Motorola DVR for less than a week before I ordered an install of Dish. I have been on Dish for over a year now and am happy.

Coming from Voom I found the picture quality on Charter to be lousy, the customer service to be belligerant, the On-Demand services to be unreliable, and the HD offerings to still be minimal. I found the interface on the DVR to be frustrating.

Charter in Greenville won't seriously improve their HD offerings until they can eliminate the analog channels and free up bandwidth.

However there are other options out there. It does cost more to move to satellite - especially if you want an HD-DVR - but I am much happier with my service than I ever was with Charter.

CDH.

Have Dish Network now, since Feb, and kept Charter because I'm under a great promo thru the retention dept., by far the picture is 10x better on Dish than Charter will ever be.

I just happened to stumble across this webpage, which I wish every local government would initiate in order to track community perceptions of cable service. Though it is not an immediate solution, if you really want another company to take over the Charter franchise here in Greenville, expression of your dissatisfaction to the community leaders is necessary. You should carefully craft a letter, and submit it to this website.
http://www.greenvillecounty.org/County_Attorney/Cable_Television.asp

BTW...Just for the record....Having previously subscribed to other cable providers, such as Northland and Adelphia, I am actually pleased with Charter here in the Greenville area. Digital simulcast and more high-def would be nice though.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)