Is HDTV Too Expensive

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
150 Channels HD which is just local HD not major Networks like FoodHD so forth.. Direct TV is just behind the times and their CEO is not in tuned with their customers.. Dish is blowing them away.. They dont want to invest to stay up to date with everyone else. I can see Dish being the Sat leader in the near future..

http://www.tvpredictions.com/murdochhd091906.htm

Is HDTV Too Expensive For Rupert Murdoch?
The media mogul looks to swap ownership of DIRECTV to John Malone's Liberty Media.
By Phillip Swann

Washington, D.C. (September 19, 2006) -- News Corp. Chairman Rupert Murdoch has wanted to own a satellite TV service in the United States for 10 years.

So, why is he now negotiating to swap his controlling interest in satcaster DIRECTV to John Malone's Liberty Media?

News reports suggest that Murdoch is frustrated that DIRECTV doesn't have the technical capacity to offer wireless and Broadband services. Studies have recently indicated that cable TV operators may be stealing customers from satellite because they can offer those services.

However, another reason that Murdoch may be contemplating the swap is the high cost of High-Definition TV.

Rupert Murdoch, chairman of News Corp.

DIRECTV has committed to launching four new satellites so it can expand its high-def programming lineup. The satcaster now offers just nine national HD channels, far less than its satellite rival EchoStar and most cable TV systems. With the new satellites, all of which should be operational next year, DIRECTV says it can provide local HD signals in most markets and up to 150 national HD channels.

But the satellites -- and the supporting infrastructure -- are enormously expensive, perhaps costing up to a billion dollars (if not more than that.).

In addition, DIRECTV has hinted in the past that it will offer free upgrades to new MPEG 4 receivers, which high-def owners will need to display the new channels in 2007. While the exchange program would add cost, it might be necessary to ensure that all DIRECTV high-def owners purchase the new HD programming packages.

Interestingly, Eric Shanks, DIRECTV's executive vice president of entertainment, told TVPredictions.com last week that DIRECTV has yet to make a decision on next year's upgrade policy. The remark might suggest that DIRECTV is rethinking the free upgrade plan.

Add it all up and it's abundantly clear that DIRECTV will have to spend a small fortune to expand its high-def lineup and stay competitive with EchoStar and cable TV.

With satellite TV's subscriber growth slowing, the cost may be too much for Murdoch to bear.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/alper091806.htm
DIRECTV, I Just Don't Get It

By Ken Alper
HD Observer

Editor's Note: DIRECTV's Eric Shanks told TVPredictions.com last week that the satcaster will likely not add any national HDTV channels until 2007. Instead, DIRECTV will focus this year on adding local HD channels across the country. The revelation has provoked numerous negative comments from our readers, including this one from HD Observer Ken Alper.
Washington, D.C. (September 18, 2006) -- I seriously just don’t get what they’re thinking (when they say they will focus on local HD in 2006).

Every DIRECTV receiver and DVR (well, at least the Tivo branded ones; I don’t know about their new ones) lets you painlessly connect the roof antenna you most likely already have right to the box, and it seamlessly integrates those signals into your tuner. So here in the NYC area, if I start at channel 2, which is the local CBS affiliate in standard definition via DIRECTV, and click the “channel up” button, I go to 2-1, the HD signal being broadcast over the air. It’s uncompressed, and it’s painless – it’s not like I have to get up and flick an A/B switch or something.

They’re wasting all this time and money launching new satellites to carry local affiliates that PEOPLE CAN ALREADY RECEIVE OVER THE AIR, and they’re NOT putting up national HD feeds of existing cable networks, which is what people (well, me at least) actually want.

Even worse, if they move the existing national HD networks to the new Mpeg-4 satellites, people like me, who paid around $600 for our HD DIRECTV TiVos, are going to have to do a swap, possibly paying money, to get the vastly inferior DIRECTV branded DVR, which no one actually wants. The ONLY thing keeping me from switching to cable right now is that with cable, you CAN’T connect an antenna to the box. You get stuck watching the badly overcompressed local HD signals they send you on the wire.

Just one annoyed consumer’s perspective.

Last edited:
LoL, I would not hold your breath on Dish blowing DirecTV out of the water. DirecTV has invested hundreds of millions of dollars for new sat to provide more HD then Dish could ever carry by next year. If Dish has the capacity why have not all the Local HD along with Cinimax HD and others been added? Any why on their recent additons are they HD Lite?

No you need to read again they only offer 9!!Dish could have close to 40 by the end of the year. Those are only local channels in HD that Direct is adding for next year with their new sat. Anyone can get those off a OTA or most. What I'm talking about is other networks not CBS,NBC,FOX,ABC really anyone can get those..Do the math if Direct or Dish added all 50 states 4 locals in HD CBS,NBC,FOX,ABC that would be 200 HD Channels. Thats not other networks which is what Im talking about and thats what they are when they say their going to have 150 which is most of all the states locals in HD is all. Dish still has more HD than Direct and will be adding more before the year up. Plus Dish is putting up a new bird next year also and Dish has added some of the locals in HD. But the Direct TV thing is just talking about locals in HD not major networks.. Other networks is like Food HGTV so forth.. Almost every carrier has HD Lite but overall Dish is still the HD leader hands down.. HD Lite will be something that will be addressed in the near future.. Anyone can call it what they wan but Direct is playing catch up..

Last edited:
Poke, DirecTV new sat are for both Local and National HD do some research. First if anyone can get local channels (either SD or HD) then then why do 90% of booth Sat subscribers subscribe to them? Just curious how many National HD channels has Dish added this year? Second, the RSN dish is looking a adding a not national but local RSN. As far as Local HD Dish has minimal Local HD's and will not provide any more this year while DirecTV has over 45 markets with more to come this year. I agree that right now Dish has a lot more National HD channels but to be honest take away Voom crap and the margin is much closer. So back to your original question will Dish blow DirectV out of the water? They have not up until now. Let Dish concentrate on having more HD subs then DirecTV.

Finally, I would be more worry about Dish going under will all the lawsuit judgements against them.

TulsaCoker said:
Poke, DirecTV new sat are for both Local and National HD do some research. First if anyone can get local channels (either SD or HD) then then why do 90% of booth Sat subscribers subscribe to them? Just curious how many National HD channels has Dish added this year? Second, the RSN dish is looking a adding a not national but local RSN. As far as Local HD Dish has minimal Local HD's and will not provide any more this year while DirecTV has over 45 markets with more to come this year. I agree that right now Dish has a lot more National HD channels but to be honest take away Voom crap and the margin is much closer. So back to your original question will Dish blow DirectV out of the water? They have not up until now. Let Dish concentrate on having more HD subs then DirecTV.

Finally, I would be more worry about Dish going under will all the lawsuit judgements against them.

Dish is not going to go under because of the DNS and Tivo lawsuits. And if Murdoch sells D*, it will take the incentive out of the Fox O&O affiliates complaints against the settlement.

Why do most subscribers get HD LIL? Convenience - It requires no OTA Antenna.

How many new national hd's on E*? Since April: Food HD, HGTV HD, National Geographic HD, NFL HD, and Starz HD. That's not bad for five months, IMHO. With INHD and 15 RSNs uplinked, and probably Cinemax HD later this fall... not a bad year.

In the past year E* has also added 5 more voom channels, but I guess those don't count since if you can't get voom then they must be "crap"...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)