Is it just me or does TNT HD look horrible?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

chrisw27

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
I've had my VIP211 receiver for a couple months and I've never seen TNT HD look decent at any time. The quality is just unbelievable. Also, If you see any dark areas in the picture, there's a lot of blue specks all over the place. Is it that way on other providers too or just E*?

Yup, TNTHD is the worst looking "HD" channel by far. I think all they do is stretch alot of their SD shows. If you switch back and forth between the channels you can tell.

Actually some of the rest of the programming is also very good.

TNT is still broadcasting a number of programs from SD source material over their HD channel. They apply their own stretching algorithm to fill a 16:9 screen. It zooms the vertical a little and then aggressively stretches the sides of the horizontal. For the past couple of years this has been referred to on HD forums as TNT Stretch-0-Vision.

The live sports are almost all true HD.

Movies are 50-50. Some are excellent HD, others are stretched SD.

Syndicated TV shows are mostly SD, although some of them are native 16:9 SD, so at least they aren't stretched.

All in all, a very shoddy HD channel.

Luckily for me, all I watch on TNT is the basketball and Law and Order and both look good.

There was one night this season that TNT stretched a basketball game. It also appeared as if you were looking through a coke bottle, or a magnifying glass - some wierd convex imaging that gave me a headache. I had to change the channel.

TNT sucks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)