Is it just me or does TNT HD look horrible?

C

chrisw27

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 2, 2006
I've had my VIP211 receiver for a couple months and I've never seen TNT HD look decent at any time. The quality is just unbelievable. Also, If you see any dark areas in the picture, there's a lot of blue specks all over the place. Is it that way on other providers too or just E*?

MiniTransAm

MiniTransAm

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 29, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Yup, TNTHD is the worst looking "HD" channel by far. I think all they do is stretch alot of their SD shows. If you switch back and forth between the channels you can tell.

S

shlin

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Feb 4, 2006
rcbridge said:
The sports look Great (NBA) but some of the programing is stretched!!
I think some of the Law and Orders were HD material.

S

sprintcarcrazy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Dec 18, 2003
Yes, a waste of bandwidth most of the time with there streched out crap

Tom Bombadil

Tom Bombadil

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
May 5, 2005
Chicago-Milwaukee Region
Actually some of the rest of the programming is also very good.

TNT is still broadcasting a number of programs from SD source material over their HD channel. They apply their own stretching algorithm to fill a 16:9 screen. It zooms the vertical a little and then aggressively stretches the sides of the horizontal. For the past couple of years this has been referred to on HD forums as TNT Stretch-0-Vision.

The live sports are almost all true HD.

Movies are 50-50. Some are excellent HD, others are stretched SD.

Syndicated TV shows are mostly SD, although some of them are native 16:9 SD, so at least they aren't stretched.

All in all, a very shoddy HD channel.

F

FunkeeC

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Feb 5, 2006
Luckily for me, all I watch on TNT is the basketball and Law and Order and both look good.

R

RobertsD

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 22, 2005
Layton, UT
On TNTHD, all I watch is NBA, Cold Case, and some of the movies, Everything looks great except for some of the movies.

F

FantasyChannel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 9, 2006
There was one night this season that TNT stretched a basketball game. It also appeared as if you were looking through a coke bottle, or a magnifying glass - some wierd convex imaging that gave me a headache. I had to change the channel.

TNT sucks.