Is it me, or are the Joeys I was given complete pieces of crap?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TonyTheBean

Original poster
Jun 2, 2013
United States
Don't get me wrong, I love the entire concept that Dish has going on, but I feel like they could have made them better. The size is nice and everything, but the hardware that they put inside of them are just.. bad. So far, I've had my Joey crash about twice in the past 5 hours that I've had them. Once while trying to set up a recording for Dexter on Showtime, and another time just browsing the guide. I can't say anything for the Hopper because I haven't really been using it that much, but since it's the box that does it all, i would expect it not to. Has anybody else had these problems?

Another NO! BUT, you said "the box that does it all", not the Joey, the Hopper as mentioned above. Think you have a misconception about the Hopper/Joey system.

Also, define "crash". What exactly happens.? You mentioned Dexter. It does not start again until 6/30 and not in the guide until 8 days before.. So what are you trying to do?

Also, define "crash". What exactly happens.? You mentioned Dexter. It does not start again until 6/30 and not in the guide until 8 days before.. So what are you trying to do?
Maybe he's trying to record the reruns of last season, so he can catch up before the new season starts. Or, maybe he's using "search" to set it up now, so he won't forget by the time the window opens.

Hmm. So if I'm getting freezing problems, its most likely the Hopper?
Actually, it could be an issue with the wiring between the Hopper and Joey, or the node, which is a small device that goes between the two. Or, possibly the Hopper itself, although it's unlikely, if you haven't noticed any other problems on the Hopper.

If the installer didn't run all new wiring, there could be a bad bit of wiring or barrel connector somewhere. And, Dish was apparently having some issues with early batches of nodes. But, my money is on the wiring.

I've had 2 Joeys for almost 8 months now, and not a single issue out of either one. I agree that the Hopper itself may be the issue rather than the Joeys.

I had 2 Joeys for over a year and they never gave any problems. I returned one a few months back since I no longer needed it. The other one is still going strong.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

You said that you've hd them for 5 hours. If that's true, you may need to wait till after an over night reboot before everything works properly.

Make sure there is not a heat problem. I set my router on top of it once by mistake and the Joey shut down do to it overheating.

I was trying to set up a timer for Dexter with the settings Only New and record only on Showtime. When I was going down to click ok, it froze and shut down after about a minute. Also, what I meant by "the box that does it all," I meant that since it handles the 4 tuners, recordings, etc. it should have higher quality hardware.

I'm also pretty sure that it isn't an overheating problem, the Joey doesn't even have anything around it at all. Also, the hopper doesn't stream the GUI or anything like that to the Joeys right? Because if the GUI isn't streamed, then I don't see how it could be the Hopper that would cause the Joey to crash while in a menu and not doing an operation.

Last edited:
You said that you've hd them for 5 hours. If that's true, you may need to wait till after an over night reboot before everything works properly.

Very likely the problem. Good advice. Also since there aren't 4 tuners umless using OTA I don't think the OP has good idea about the system yet. But that doesn't mean there isn't a problem. I would wait till tomorrow and see how it is working.

Also, the hopper doesn't stream the GUI or anything like that to the Joeys right? Because if the GUI isn't streamed, then I don't see how it could be the Hopper that would cause the Joey to crash while in a menu and not doing an operation.
You would be correct, however it is the Hopper performing the tasks you are doing if it freezes it may look like the Joey is. As you said you have not really used the Hopper directly yet. In the end there could be a problem, but wait a day or two and see if everything shakes out.

Last edited:
I have found noticed very recently my Joey has been behaving similar to the OP, with frequent spontaneous resets. I've found that if I use it just for core things such as live TV and My Recordings, it seems pretty stable, but if I start using ANY of the apps, even the relatively simple Weather Channel App, the bloody thing LOCKS UP and then shows black with the picture in one quadrant. This happened 4 times in ONE day over only a few hours. Now, at my Hopper (linked to the same Joey), the same "demanding" use causes NO problems and all apps seem to load faster and and unload quickly with no hiccups. I had used some of the Apps in the past on the Joey and it didn't seem to have such PITA problems before the last update. Take the OP seriously, while it may be how the Hopper is handling the stream to the Joey being the problem, the client it self could also be the problem. The way it is now, any demands at the Joey beyond simple Live TV and My Recordings seems to lock it up or cause a spontaneous reset. Please look into this Dish.

The way it is now, any demands at the Joey beyond simple Live TV and My Recordings seems to lock it up or cause a spontaneous reset. Please look into this Dish.

This is not on our known product issues list. I personally have not experienced anything like this with my Joeys. Can you please send me a PM with examples of what your doing when this happens, your account information and software versions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)