Is it ok to mix RG6 and RG59 coax cables?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sv777

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
USA
My indoor antenna is currently connected to my TV with a RG6 coax cable but some channels are coming in spotty so I would like to try an amplifier. The amplifier is a universal RCA with a fixed RG59 coax that connects to the TV, will it be ok ? Basically RG6 connected from antenna to amp and a RG59 connected from amp to TV? Is this fine?

Should be fine.

BUT: Old cable can corrode. Same for connectors. If you have a long run to that indoor antenna this MIGHT be a concern.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.
I was just inspecting my antenna yesterday. I noticed the weather boot covering the input from antenna was cracking and frail looking. Replaced it just in case. I'd rather be preventive since moisture in the connection can cause funky issues.

Because the impedance of RG59 and RG6 is the same, the only signal compromise is the coupler(s) to connect them together.

For use with satellite or (pre-)amplified antennas, RG59 has a greater DC voltage drop (lower ampacity) so in that situation, replacing it is desirable.

Yep, that short RG59 jumper to the tv has no measurable loss at tv frequencies and the 1450Z amplifier MORE than compensates for any tiny loss in the coax jumper with it's 10Db of gain so it will work perfectly.

Reactions: jorgek

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts