Is it possible to get a new dish? (Directv)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Zeke Pabski

Original poster
Oct 1, 2006
I have had the same dish since I started subscribing to Directv. Probably about six years now. The dish is currently rather beat up. They gave it to me free at the time -- I had been living in apartments for most of those six years and had it mounted to a tripod, but Colorado weather would knock it down and so forth.

Anyway, do you guys know my best option for getting a new dish? I imagine if I call Directv they won't help me, based on some of the threads I've read here. I'm guessing that I should just go onto eBay and get a new dish but man, I don't know for certain.

Thanks!

I gather you're still living in an apartment and I'd doubt that D* would or could install a dish on the property. Years ago I was in an apartment and used a 5 gallon bucket filled with sand and a few bricks. A bit of a hassle to move around but that also kept the dish from getting out of alignment and I had little marks to get it back in place if I did move it. Seems to me you could buy a dish from one of the retailers listed here or off eBay and fix up something.

Call D* the worst they could do is say NO if you never ask it is a no because you didn't ask.800-531-5000.

Last edited:
boba said:
Call D* the worst they could do is say NO if you never ask it is a no because you didn;t ask.800-531-5000.
Also, If you planning to upgrade receivers at all, they will pretty much give you the dish and a free install.

Jimbo

I still think an "install" on an apartment building, unless the owners agree, is going to be a problem. I know my landlords wouldn't even consider it and weren't that fond of the portable setups lots of us had. We went through times when we'd have to haul them off our balconies at night so they wouldn't see them during the day.

randyk47 said:
I still think an "install" on an apartment building, unless the owners agree, is going to be a problem. I know my landlords wouldn't even consider it and weren't that fond of the portable setups lots of us had. We went through times when we'd have to haul them off our balconies at night so they wouldn't see them during the day.
If you have a balcony, whats in your apt, is your business, and your balcony for that matter .... IF you wanted to push the issue, you could print out a copy of the FCC ruling dealing with Apt's and Condo's that state that they are allowed as long as they are not over 36", none are....

I think I would go with the 5 gallon bucket of concrete and mount the post short so the dish would not sit up high enough for people to see it from the ground, if possible.

Jimbo

I agree and should have added that my apartment days with my D* system were back before the latest FCC rules. I'd imagine today the landlord has given up as the law permits the tenant to have a dish, of the proper size, on their balcony. I wonder if D* would consider a bucket of sand or cemet an "installation" in terms of something they'd be willing to do? Maybe they'd be willing to at least provide the dish without installation?

seems like there oughta be someone around the forum not far from you that has a spare. they insisted on installing a new 3lnb on my last move, so have an identical one collecting dust in the attic.

Guys, just want to say thanks for all the advice. I actually moved from an apartment into a house, so I'll be able to attach the new one wherever. It had not occurred to me that Walmart might have one.

At the old apartment they would let us clamp it to the balcony, which is what I ended up doing after my homemade tripod fell over and finally broke apart. I am a crappy woodsman, that much is for sure, heh. I will give them a call and see what they say (thanks, boba) and just go grab one down the street at the WM if they brush me off.

Thanks again!

-zeke

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts