is it possible to "split" a signal going into your receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rmckeon

Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
first, let me apologize in advance if this isn't the right place to post htis question... I'm brand new to the forum, so please bear with me! :)

I'm wondering if I can/need to use a specific splitter to split my one rg6 line going from my dish into my receiver. I have a dual-tuner cw3000hd + motorized dish set-up. currently, I'm only taking advantage of one of the tuners... which is a shame. I'm obviousl trying to avoid running a 2nd rg6 line from my dish into my finished basement, which would be really problematic.

I previously tried to use a splitter (generic splitter from home depot) to split my signal into two, one for each dvb tuner card, and it seemed to work, until I tried to switch to a different bird. the usals/diseq command seem to make it to the motor.

it seems to me that as long as there's a way to get the disecq command up to the motor, I should be okay.

any ideas??

the caveat you need to be aware of when splitting the signal, is that every attached device has to be the same polarity and satellite. Obviously with a motor you can't for instance have one tuner on 97W and the other on 123W at the same time but if you are on say 97W horizontal on tuner1, tuner2 will only see 97W horizontal as well.

to be absolutely safe you need a splitter that passes diseqc and voltage on one port and blocks it on the other.

awesome guys, thanks for your feedback.

I totally understand why you've stressed that I need to remember that I can only pick-up signals from one specific bird if I use both tuners.

again, cheers!

when splitting the signal this way remmeber its similar to using a loop out port, the master ird controls the polarity and motor (and any switch;s) and the slave views the same polarity/satelite as the master.

I'm wondering if I can/need to use a specific splitter to split my one rg6 line going from my dish into my receiver. I have a dual-tuner cw3000hd + motorized dish set-up. currently, I'm only taking advantage of one of the tuners... which is a shame. I'm obviousl trying to avoid running a 2nd rg6 line from my dish into my finished basement, which would be really problematic.
to get both polarities on both tuners you need to run a 2nd line. Otherwise to use both tuners but same polarity, just use the loop out feature :)

I had the same issue with the Pansat 6000
http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-mpeg2-equipment-reviews/50989-pansat-6000-a.html

-one cable coming in to tuner 1 and using the loop out to go to tuner 2
pro-one cable coming in
con-if you are recording something, the second tuner is limited to the same polarity

-two cables coming in from same dish (dual LNB)
pro-can record two channels on different polarities
con-two cables have to be run from the dish to the machine

yeah, i totally forgot about that, if your receiver has "loop out" you don't even need the splitter, just send "loop out" to the 2nd tuner.

if it helps i use a a/b switch and just switch between my coolsat (in bedroom)or (pansat 9200 in livingroom)with one rg6 line from my dish.
it works great

when splitting the signal this way remmeber its similar to using a loop out port, the master ird controls the polarity and motor (and any switch;s) and the slave views the same polarity/satelite as the master.

I use a Lifetime NA as my primary STB with the loop out going to a Fortec Ultra upstairs.

Each STB can take primary control of the dish motor and polarity but only ONE at a time. I EITHER watch in the basement or upstairs and one STB is always OFF (not the switch on the back, just off using remote or front panel button)

This works really great for me.

wait a min... does the loop up of a reciever block voltages and commands? I mean if I piggy back rec B to rec A via loop will the LNB voltage and commands blow the power supply in rec A if rec b is left on? Or should a DV blocker be put in place to be safe?

I've used Fortec Merc II, Classic NA, Buzz Plus, Ariza Xtreme, and VisionSat IV200 successfully this way without a DC blocker. If you simply want to watch the same polarity that the Main system selects, you can turn off LNB power in the slaved receiver. It can be a kludgy configuration, but it works.
:)

Brent

I just turn the main system off via the remote control and use the slave receiver normal. The slave moves the dish and selects any channel on any transponder. I never have them both on at the same time. When I turn the slave off via the remote, I can use the main STB to move the dish and watch any channel I want.

They do make diode protected splitters. Diode protected splitters can pass power on all ports and you don't have to worry about damaging a receiver as the diode will block current flow from any receiver putting 18v onto the line back into one only supplying 13v. So with a diode protected splitter you don't have to worry about receiver damage. You will however be limited in the ability of the receivers to only be able to tune to the polarity all other receivers are tuned to. That is if any one receiver is tuning to horizontal polarity then this is all any others can tune to. In order to tune to vertical all receivers would have to be tuned to vertical. Otherwise any one tuned to horizontal would switch the LNB to horizontal. Of course all this assumes your using voltage switched polarity. If you aren't, and are using a polar servo instead then it's not an issue.

if it helps i use a a/b switch and just switch between my coolsat (in bedroom)or (pansat 9200 in livingroom)with one rg6 line from my dish.
it works great

About manual A/B switches be careful! Most of these, or at least the ones I've seen, are for switching between multiple input sources to a TVs tuner input. Using them in the manner described here could be dangerous to your receivers as many of them are designed to actually short out the "input" that's not selected. If that "input" is an antenna sending RF into the switch to a TV, that's actually preferable as it will keep this signal from interfering with the signals coming in on the input that's selected. If however, you were using them in the manner described above in brotherhoods post with one dish feeding into the switch which is then connected to multiple receivers, your essentially using it backward from what it was designed to do and if it then shorts the "input" that would be deselected it would actually be shorting out your satellite receiver which is supplying LNB voltage. Obviously this is generally not a good thing.

hi
i been using a a/b switch buy (radiorat)for 3 years ,and had no problems.
i guess i should be careful .

It may be that your A/b switch doesn't short the unused input, but some do. I know because I have some that do. I tested it with a multimeter before using it. That's what anyone thinking of using one in the manner you described should do.

Also, since DiSEqC switches are sensitive to voltage spikes on the coax, using a manual switch such as these with a DiSEqC in the line somewhere and the receiver(s) powered on might result in a faulty DiSEqC switch...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)