Is it possible type question!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Slickums

Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
Mexico
I have some (non-tech) friends looking at a way to expand their directv viewing experience. I am into the 'streaming' and 'web tv' thing, but have no directv specialized knowledge.

So, the question is: Given the new cinema service and CEDA connections available on some directv hardware, is there a way to use any of this to get the directv streaming service in a location where a satellite signal is impossible to get?

They are in a mountain valley, surrounded by any number of line-of-site obstacles. However, they do have directv service in another location and would like to occasionally have sat tv in this remote area where they do have good internet available.

So, can they hook any of this stuff up and get the "cinema service" or is it "cinema plus" service at that remote location during the short time they are there?

Moving the stuff on a temporary basis is what I think they would prefer, not duplicate everything at both locations since they only use it for a month or so in the winter. Thanks for comments or ideas!

No

What they can do though is use dvr2pc which will allow them to watch recorded shows from a remote location provided they have their DVR wired in to the internet either directly or via a Broad Band DECA.

Shows will have to be recorded to view them, but they can set recordings up though the internet too.

Well, the DECA is one way to connect the DVR to the internet.

So, an internet connection to the DVR and downloading the dvr2pc software will allow you to watch recorded shows.
You can also use it to set recordings up remotely.

Slingbox although currently offers a little more flexibility is pretty costly IMO were an internet connection will be much cheaper and possibly free.

Well, the DECA is one way to connect the DVR to the internet.

So, an internet connection to the DVR and downloading the dvr2pc software will allow you to watch recorded shows.
You can also use it to set recordings up remotely.

Slingbox although currently offers a little more flexibility is pretty costly IMO were an internet connection will be much cheaper and possibly free.

Yea, the Slingbox is more expensive and appears to be more "tech heavy" to set up and keep going. That is why this DECA box, at $99 and no buttons, dials, or other decision making protrusions, appeared to be a good way for this couple to go. Whether they will want to go with "recorded stuff only" is their call, but it certainly simplifies the setup by being "built in" except for simply plugging in the DECA box!

Thanks!

Have you seen the Microsoft commercial where the couple at the airport watch their TV from home ?? "To the cloud!! ? I believe there is a way to do it , however I do not know if it is endorsed by D*, SO I won't say it here, but a tech savy Microsoft knowledgeable person who knows how to *** may be able to set it up.. I'm not sure what the bandwidth through the tunnel would be and might bottleneck the connection, but it may work, As long as the DIRECT2PC sees the tunnel...

No

What they can do though is use dvr2pc which will allow them to watch recorded shows from a remote location provided they have their DVR wired in to the internet either directly or via a Broad Band DECA.

Shows will have to be recorded to view them, but they can set recordings up though the internet too.

DirecTV2PC isn't designed to let you to view your DVR content over the internet, only your local network. If you are familiar with networking, there are ways to make it work. The Slingbox is an easier solution.

Bob talks about NOMAD. I haven't heard anything about this from the guys that went to CES. I wonder if there were any updates? Last I heard it was coming out late this year.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)