Is it safe to stand DVR's vertically?

mezab

Original poster
Mar 4, 2006
I have a DVR 921 receiver that can be hidden behind my TV if I were to stand it vertically.

Does anyone have an opinion if this would be safe? Is there any potiential of damaging or shortening the life of the hard drive?

I don't know. But I have had my 942 on its end since day one. Its been going almost a year without problems. It is in a convenient place and gets great air circulation which keeps it cool.

I think that as long as it doesn't get bumped or moved while in operation it should be fine.

I guess YMMV.

CDH.

Except for possible cooling issues, it should be no problem.

You don't want the hot side low - and because that's the power supply side, it's the heavy side. SO, you gotta make sure the top-heavy setup is stable.

You'd want the fan at the top. Just look at a regular mini tower PC. Simon is right, the hot side needs to be on top. The rising air at the hot side creates a convection vacuum that sucks cool air in at the bottom. Placing the hot side dowm would mean that the hot air stream would rise bathe the circuit board with heat.

mezab said:
I have a DVR 921 receiver that can be hidden behind my TV if I were to stand it vertically.

Does anyone have an opinion if this would be safe?

As long as you don't mind the picture being turned 90 degrees. Might work out if you're laying on the sofa. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts