Is it supposed to be off this much?

safetyfastmg

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2007
New customer. Several times in the three weeks we've had service, we lose signal and get the "acquiring satellite signal" message. This with a 1000 with a 622 and a 322. It went out this morning and again this afternoon. My wife called service and they said there is a storm brewing 70 miles away and that they couldn't even go through any diagnostics because of it. The sky is clear here. When it's on, with the new software, my signal strength is 56 on 110 and 57 on 119, but I don't know if that's good or not anymore.

"my signal strength is 56 on 110 and 57 on 119, but I don't know if that's good or not anymore."

You got to be kidding! Call and demand that they send one to peak the dish. Those signals are way too low. You should be getting 90s and 80s at least so you don't lose the signal.

Yes your Dish was not properly peaked. Dish will need to send someone to fix it (its only off a little, but enough to cause the issues you are having)

There is a help message on screen that says with the new software update the signal strength numbers should be lower. So 90s and 80s are what it should be even post update?

Regardless of what the message says you are having a signal loss issue and it needs to be addressed so call and schedule a service call to get it fixed. On average you should expect about 30 - 45 mins signal loss due to weather through out the entire year all together not each time a cloud passes by or a bird lands on the dish.

It's fixed! I called dish, and a very helpful tech explained that the tech my wife spoke to was full of it. He ran me through the diagnostics and it turns out that the installer apparently never ran "point dish"

It's fixed! I called dish, and a very helpful tech explained that the tech my wife spoke to was full of it. He ran me through the diagnostics and it turns out that the installer apparently never ran "point dish"

So what are the signals now? They still haven't adjusted the dish so I don't see how that will help with your signal levels.

True, you can run point dish until hell freezes over and until they physically repoint the dish, the signal will not improve.

Oviously that tech, must thing that your dish is motorized and that when you go to point dish, it will move it automaticaly, lol.

New customer. Several times in the three weeks we've had service, we lose signal and get the "acquiring satellite signal" message. This with a 1000 with a 622 and a 322. It went out this morning and again this afternoon. My wife called service and they said there is a storm brewing 70 miles away and that they couldn't even go through any diagnostics because of it. The sky is clear here. When it's on, with the new software, my signal strength is 56 on 110 and 57 on 119, but I don't know if that's good or not anymore.
The disah needs to be re peaked....I hate it when I go to a service call and the customer is aggrevated with me because a Dish CSR kept the customer on the phone for 30 mins running trouble shoots...Just call them back and tell them you want a tech out there ASAP no questions asked or you will cancel....

I'm gettting signals in the 90s now. I don't profess to understand it, I'm new. But it works now. Perhaps the low numbers were due to the weather as the first tech suggested? I'll keep an eye on it, and demand a service call if I have a problem.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)