Is it time to move to Dish?

mraudit

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
Omaha, NE
I have one HD TV, and 3 SD TVs. I have been reading post on here for the last 5 months, and I am trying to decide if it is time to switch from cable to Dish Network? I am thinking of getting the Platnum HD lineup, with an HD DVR. Is now a good time to jump in, or should I wait due to new technology coming out? MPEG2 vs MPEG4? I really don't know what either of these mean!!!!

There will never be a "good time" or "bad time" per say. It all comes down to what you get for the value that most works for you. As far as the technology concern, current Dish DVR is MPEG2 and MPEG4 receiver and there is no particular other "new technology" on horizon anytime soon. MPEG2 and 4 are just different compression formats widely used in digital media industry. MPEG4 is the newer standard. "Waiting for next new thing" was never my model for decision, becasue there will always be something new in the future and "wait" will never ends. So, if whatever HDs from Dish is suitable for your needs, then go for it.

In our area, the cable company is the stuff of legends ( high cost, high compression, unresponsive, etc.) and we moved to E* some years ago. Compared to D*, they give a bit more value for a little less money, IMHO. The real competition in our area now is Verizon's FIOS - we're not ready to switch yet, but we are keeping our eyes open.

--Doug

Since the MPEG4 VIP receivers are here, there really isn't anything left to hold out for. So I'd give the thumbs up for a switch.

My only hesitation was the 18mo commitment for my upgrade to the 622. With Fios TV around the corner (and me being an early adopter type) I didn't want to be locked down. But after looking over Verizon's offering, it really isn't so much better that I would feel compelled to switch to them even without the commitment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)