Is it time to tell the professional sports teams commissioners to build their OWN stadiums?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
As most of all of you know, I am a HUGE Oakland Raiders fan and very anti-ownership when it comes to franchises hold cities hostage for new billion dollar stadiums. I hurt for my team getting a new stadium because it is the oldest piece of crap in all of professional sports. BUT, because of the economics we are in, the city of Oakland can not afford a new stadium for the Raiders, the A's and the Golden State Warriors.

Now, the respective teams leagues are the biggest lobbyist for the team when it comes to trying to "convince"(more like bullying) these cities and their respective local governments to "persuade them" into put in some of the funds/bonds/tax breaks(call it what you will) to help partially fund these billion dollar projects.

When will those prospective leagues put in alot of their on monies to help some of these cities out instead of bailout these multi-millionaire that in many cases, do not NEED to be bailed out?

Yep, just saw that in Atlanta. Atlanta refused to do requested upgrades to Turner Field, so now the Braves are building a new stadium in the suburbs.

City official actually had the stupidity during negotiations to say to the Brave, "well, what are you going to do? Move?"
Braves called his bluff and are moving to Cobb County which is putting up $400 million.

I think theses leagues, with the BILLIONS of dollars in TV contracts and in some cases, more than HALF of the of the endorsement money coming to them...should have no issues putting in AT LEAST 33% of the monies needed to fund a new stadium.

I think every city and state are different and there is no "one size fits all" as it pertains to new stadiums. This is where the elected officials need to have some guts one way or the other. If for instance a city like Oakland really cannot afford to fund a new stadium or they decide the benefits and tax income is more beneficial in the long run, they need to make an argument. If like most politicians, they are cowards and don't want to make a difficult decision, then put it on the ballot. I agree with the thought that the team or league should put up some (IMO at least 50%) and show they are invested in the city or area. I think what the Raiders have done in the past is a travesty and if I lived in LA, I wouldn't want them to come back there and probably leave again.

The Braves moving is a huge win for the team and a majority of their fans and I am hopeful the facility they plan will be as envisioned.

I will move to your town if you build a house to my specifications. In return, I will pay property, income and sales taxes.
Fair deal?

Derwin raised an excellent point. Why should a team spend their own money when cities are lining up for these teams to move there. Since the business of sports has exploded since the mid 90s... sports teams have the upper hand.

Tax payers from now onward are on the hook for these playing fields.

Look at Glendale Arizona....up until last week, the city was paying the Coyotes 20 million a year to manage an arena the city owned. Dont know how the Coyotes pulled that off but the city signed off on the deal.

The Braves moving is a huge win for the team and a majority of their fans and I am hopeful the facility they plan will be as envisioned.
Not for those like me who live on the southside.

But yeah, looks to be a much nicer facility without all the crap that goes on now with Turner Field. Plus the joke that is the Atlanta-Fulton County Recreation Authority won't be involved.

Look at Glendale Arizona....up until last week, the city was paying the Coyotes 20 million a year to manage an arena the city owned. Dont know how the Coyotes pulled that off but the city signed off on the deal.
By threatening to move to Hamilton.

Not for those like me who live on the southside.

But yeah, looks to be a much nicer facility without all the crap that goes on now with Turner Field. Plus the joke that is the Atlanta-Fulton County Recreation Authority won't be involved.

I hated the location of Turner Field. There is really nothing around that area and Underground Atlanta where I used to be able to catch transportation to the game, is no longer safe IMO.

Last edited:
I hated the location of Turner Field. There is really nothing around that area and Underground Atlanta where I used to be able to catch transportation to the game, is no longer safe IMO.
Is/was Turner Field close to Six Flags like old Fulton County Stadium was? For all of the times I've visited Atlanta,I've had no reason to go to Turner Field,so I honestly don't know it's exact location(I live in the Augusta CSRA area).

I will move to your town if you build a house to my specifications. In return, I will pay property, income and sales taxes.
Fair deal?

But these teams don't pay property taxes because the stadium is owned by the city, county or stadium authority.

Look at Detroit. Back in 1978 the Tigers sold Tiger Stadium to the city of Detroit for $1. In turn the city did 5 million in renovations and since the Tigers didn't own it didn't have to pay property tax.

Is/was Turner Field close to Six Flags like old Fulton County Stadium was? For all of the times I've visited Atlanta,I've had no reason to go to Turner Field,so I honestly don't know it's exact location(I live in the Augusta CSRA area).
Turner Field is right beside where Fulton County stadium was, in the old South parking lot.

Neither are really close to Six Flags, Turner Field is on 75 just below I-20, and Six Flags is on I-20 east of the city, outside the Perimeter.

What irks me is the Atlanta Falcons getting a NEWER stadium & their present stadium is about 20-25 years old?
Turner Field is the same age. They were built at the same time weren't they?

Turner Field is the same age. They were built at the same time weren't they?
The Georgia Dome is older, the State built it in the early 90's, opened for the Falcon's '92 season.

Turner Field was originally built as an oval stadium for the '96 Olympics. Afterwards it was converted to baseball only, with the Braves starting their '97 season there. So it's less than 20 years old.

Braves aren't leaving Turner Field because they want a new stadium. They wanted some upgrades, abut mostly they wanted the area around the stadium improved with an entertainment district created (the area around Turner Field is a cesspool that the city refuses to clean up).
Atlanta told them no, the exact words by the lead city official were "What are you going to do? Leave?" Braves called his bluff and are moving to Cobb County, which is willing to build an entertainment district around a new stadium.

Ok, 4 years isn't that much. I don't blame them for wanting the city to clean up the area around it. I still sports teams should pay for their own stadiums.

As much as I am against tax dollars going to stadiums or teams in leagues making billions in profits, I see why they do it, and will continue to do it. It is an undeniable fact that a major league baseball and football team, even a mediocre one, will bring people to the area. If the stadiums are in entertainment districts or downtown areas, it will bring a ton of business to these areas. Looking at what is going on in downtown Cincinnati, just over a decade after two new gleaming stadiums were built with a large "to be developed" area in between, it is astonishing the amount of high rent housing, and entertainment that has sprung up there as part of the stadium deals. And now GE's Global Operations Center is building its headquarters there.(the area closer to the football stadium)
Though we have some very serious problems in other parts of town, some only 7 or 8 blocks away from the new stadiums complexes, the tax payers are definitely seeing some very tangible benefits for their investment.
The thing is, the stadiums must be in areas developed to keep people in town (or in the area) so they can spend their money there. Essentially, make it attractive to visit even when the team might not be in town. I'll tell you, I spend a lot more time downtown now (in the last 4 or 5 years) than I did before, and it's all due to the ample parking (the entire area between the stadiums is a well camouflaged multi-level parking structure with 5500 parking places. The new development will be built on top) And the area around the stadiums (especially Great American) is teaming with bars, restaurants, other businesses, and what I think is most important, attractive housing.

And now the rumblings are going around to find the money to demolish the old Riverfront Coliseum (US Bank Center) right next to Great American and replace it with an arena that would attract an NHL or NBA franchise. I would still vote NO on a levy. But I see where so much good has come from not only building the stadiums, but developing the area around those facilities to make it attractive for people to come before the games, stay after, and so even move near by.

Projected after GE Global Ops HQ completed
AerialDay_HR_01-690x377.jpg

http://thebankscincy.com/visiting/parking.aspx

For reference, this is what the area looked like before the development
Cincinnati-Riverfront-1980s.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: salsadancer7
Doesn't even have to be a major league team. Tulsa is a college and minor league City. Starting with the BOK Arena and then building the Drillers new baseball stadium (OneOK Field) downtown a couple of years ago, did totally revitalize downtown. They had a plan with the City and so far it has worked amazingly well. Lots of restaurants and development around the Stadium and Arena. Many old industrial buildings are being repurposed into Luxury Condo's and are already sold out. Griffin Communications stayed downtown and built their new facilities for KOTV and KQCW in between the Stadium and Arena. There is a large park space (Guthrie Green) in front of Griffin now that is surrounded by restaurants and hosts food trucks and small venue concerts.

A lot of people were against the City helping the Drillers. The County didn't want to remodel or build a new stadium for the Drillers. The county facilities have been around since the 1950's and remodeled a few times. The Drillers announced they were going to move to the suburbs and then the Tulsa Mayor at the time stepped up saying they felt having the Drillers downtown would help with the City revitalization plans and she was right.

Reactions: TNGTony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)