Is it true about dish and espn college sports?

jessekat

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
Is it true that I can watch my beloved Bukeyes on the West coast with Dish?
I'm trying to decide between *E and *D and I'm really getting confused.
Not only by the HD standards, but I'm trying to get a straight answer on this. Does anyone know?

Jesse

You might check into a RSN Plan.

Um, I've searched, but I don't know what RSN is. Sorry for my ignorance, but this is my first post and I'm not familiar with all the ins and outs or terminology.

Could you give me a little bit more info

TIA:)
Jess

Regional Sports Networks Plan I think Dish has one where you can get them all and there is ESPN GAMEPLAN . If you dont want all of the RSN's you might see if they will just add the one with the Buckeyes play in. I don't know if they will do that but don't hurt to ask. So give them a call see what they say. :)

Last edited:
No Poke, you can't just add one distant regional sports network. jessekat, what exactly are you trying to get (what sports)? For football when the Buckeyes aren't on TV you can basically always get them on PPV. If you are looking for BB then you need to get the RSN package as noted above. Some college sports are blacked out, but not many. I know that I have some OSU fans that always come to my football tailgate at TN and we always get the OSU games on one of the channels (of course I get the NCAA football package to get all of the PPV games - it is about $120 per year, but well worth it for my tailgate parties)! Let us know if you have any more questions and we'll try to help out!

Oh my gosh, I am such a Newbie!:p
Thanks so much for the info.
I will call and find out!

Jess

No Poke, you can't just add one distant regional sports network. jessekat, what exactly are you trying to get (what sports)? For football when the Buckeyes aren't on TV you can basically always get them on PPV. If you are looking for BB then you need to get the RSN package as noted above. Some college sports are blacked out, but not many. I know that I have some OSU fans that always come to my football tailgate at TN and we always get the OSU games on one of the channels (of course I get the NCAA football package to get all of the PPV games - it is about $120 per year, but well worth it for my tailgate parties)! Let us know if you have any more questions and we'll try to help out!

Mostly football, but I would've watched the basketball finals.
I do get some games on comcast, but not all.
I think I need to look into the football package.
Thanks so much!

Jes

By the way, Welcome to Satelliteguys!!!!

Thank you! I'm sure I'll get a lot of info from here! I'm so glad I found y'all.
I get my new hdtv tomorrow and I'm in the middle of updating my PVR, so of course I want the best viewing packages around!

Jess

Well, it is very smart that you are looking around and exploring all options. Do some reading here and if you have any more questions please feel free to ask. This is a great group of people who are very open to helping others. I am very confident that you will feel welcome here and get the information you need.

FYI, now that you are going to have an HDTV you will want to check out the Dish 622 (their HD DVR). I've got a couple of them and love them.

One thing to take into consideration, the B10 now has their own sports channel. So far DirecTV has signed to carry it, but Dish has not. There are rumors that Dish may not.

The Big Ten Network channel will be carrying 35+ football games and 105 men's college basketball games. If Dish doesn't sign on, then we won't be seeing those games.

http://www.bigtennetwork.com/bigtennetwork/

Well, it is very smart that you are looking around and exploring all options. Do some reading here and if you have any more questions please feel free to ask. This is a great group of people who are very open to helping others. I am very confident that you will feel welcome here and get the information you need.

FYI, now that you are going to have an HDTV you will want to check out the Dish 622 (their HD DVR). I've got a couple of them and love them.

Thank you!
I will check out the 622. I've been doing some reading about it so that's probably what I'll go with. Thanks for the info

Jess

One thing to take into consideration, the B10 now has their own sports channel. So far DirecTV has signed to carry it, but Dish has not. There are rumors that Dish may not.

The Big Ten Network channel will be carrying 35+ football games and 105 men's college basketball games. If Dish doesn't sign on, then we won't be seeing those games.

WOW! Y'all are really plugged in. This is news to me.
This will definitely be another thing to consider.
Man my head is a mess.
I think I'd better go to bed and think about this tomorrow.

Jesse:confused:

Good point! It will be interesting to see what 35 games they broadcast. I have a feeling that ABC/ESPN will take most of Ohio State games. Also, last year ESPNU had exclusive broadcast rights to some games(Including Ohio State's game with Indiana) and that game was NOT available on ESPN game plan PPV. I doubt that adding the "Sports package" of RSN will be of much benefit.....you may be able to get the coaches show and local news coverage.

For the "big" football games, you will need ESPN GamePlan to see the games in California. (Dish and DirecTV offer this.)

For the lesser games and basketball games, look on ESPN / ESPN2 / ESPNU / new Big 10 Network. Dish hasn't signed up for the BIg 10 Network yet, DirecTV has. Dish has a tendency to sign up new channels at the last minute, but they also have a tendency t0 skip a channel they think is too expensive. If you have to pick now the safe bet is DirecTV.

Yeah my guess is Dish will get the Big 10 Network but they have time due to the channel not due to launch until August.

Good point! It will be interesting to see what 35 games they broadcast. I have a feeling that ABC/ESPN will take most of Ohio State games. Also, last year ESPNU had exclusive broadcast rights to some games(Including Ohio State's game with Indiana) and that game was NOT available on ESPN game plan PPV. I doubt that adding the "Sports package" of RSN will be of much benefit.....you may be able to get the coaches show and local news coverage.

That's right I forgot about ESPNU having exclusive rights. I think the only way for me to see all the games is to move back home and attend them! <kidding>

For the "big" football games, you will need ESPN GamePlan to see the games in California. (Dish and DirecTV offer this.)

For the lesser games and basketball games, look on ESPN / ESPN2 / ESPNU / new Big 10 Network. Dish hasn't signed up for the BIg 10 Network yet, DirecTV has. Dish has a tendency to sign up new channels at the last minute, but they also have a tendency t0 skip a channel they think is too expensive. If you have to pick now the safe bet is DirecTV.

Well I am trying to be somewhat frugal. When I had DirecTV they were great, but kinda pricey. I've been reading some threads on here and it seems that for what I want (besides college football) it's cheaper with Dish. The HD programming is already in place with dish and that is my other consideration. I don't want to pick up my tv today and sit around for months waiting on Direct to launch their HD channels. OTOH, I do know that if I don't like Direct I have a 30 day escape clause, where I'm not so sure about dish.

Jesse
[icon of the day] :confused::confused::confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)