is it worth going from MP2 to MP4?

robertjp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2004
Upstate NY
I have a 811 which I think is an MP2 and am thinking of a 611 (mp4), will the quality of HD lite be much worse than the 811 I have now even though I get less channels with the 811? Thanks BP

Here you are talking about MPEG2 vs MPEG4 compression, which on paper looks better and should offer better compression rates but as of right now you will really not notice any huge difference regarding picture quality. DishHDLite is really not only directly related to MPEG4...it is just way E* is preserving its bandwith capacities trying to cram more into less.
Until they "up" resolution and bitrates and move to TRUEHD in my option, the type and quality of your TV and cables could more affect your picture quality than type of MPEG or move to 622 alone.

I would look at this just from the perspective that 622 is future ready (all new channels they add with be MPEG4) and it is pretty good DVR so you could move now or wait...

The mpeg2 channels your 811 tunes now will be the same channels a 622 tunes to. Upgrade to a 622 if you want a DVR or if you want one of the new channels. Otherwise I'd wait until dish is more desperate to get rid of mpeg2.

As kb7oeb stated the channels you get now will stay the same as they are not broadcasting the channel twice, ince in Mpeg2 and again in Mpeg4. The channels are either or not both.

OTOH you lose any channels that are Mpeg4 by not getting a VIP622 and won't be able to see any new channels they add as Dishnetwork has stated that all new channels are going to be MPEG4.

The real question is are there any HD channels you want to see that are not available to you on the 811 and/or do you want a DVR that can feed two rooms from one IRD?

I believe that several channels including ESPN2HD are actually Mpeg2 data with a Mpeg4 header to restrict viewing to ViP series receivers. :( I finally had enough and upgraded to the 622 last month and am very pleased so far. It's my first dual-tuner receiver and I love swapping between shows. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)