Is it worth the switch?

letsgoru

Original poster
Dec 16, 2006
First of all, thank you for this Forum!

I am thinking about switching from Comcast basic analog cable to Dish Network AT120 for several SD sets. I would save about $14/month for the first 10 months with Dish and $4/month for the remainder of the contract. I would get the advantages of more channels on all my sets.

The key is the picture quality. The quality on Comcast is OK, with a little ghosting on some channels and static on others. None of the channels I consistently watch are "unwatchable."

If I go to Dish Network and the quality is the same or better, then the switch is worthwhile. If the picture quality stinks, relative to Comcast, then it is worth paying the extra money and staying where I'm at.

Thoughts?

In my opinion, it is worth the switch. In my area, the Dish Network all digital picture is much better than Comcast analog cable.

I concur. With Dish Network you will have ZERO ghosting, and ZERO static. The picture will be crystal clear (I'd recommend using S-Video connections where possible with your Dishnetwork recievers). The only thing you MAY (or may not...) notice is the compression artifacts. Also be sure that your technician gets good high signal strengths on whatever satellites you need in your area. For 110 and 119 (transponder 11), they should be at least 90 and 100 respectively. This will ensure you will not loose your channels during rain or snow (unless it's uniquely severe weather).

Yes it is worth the switch, for sure.

It can go either way,

(1) quality of install is important and its a blind crap shoot as to what you will get.

(2) PQ is dependant on a few factors besides just the providers source, cable runs in the house, componant cables used in the system, the tv's themselves, nearby terestrial interferance, even your homes electrical wiring plays a role as does the other appliances in your home so if the issue follows then you have other problems.

(3) Be sure that you are really going to be saving that extra money, depending on what type of services and receivers you want you may pay more than what your spending now.

(4) when the power goes out so does the dish but if you have a geny then you will be the guy in the know and comfort when you flip the switch.

(5) When it rains it pours and your tv's will go out possibly

(6) Dont sign a contract,

(7) Its easier to split a cable line to add another tv location, its a pain to try and relocate a dish receiver and expensive to add a 5th or 6th tv.

(4) when the power goes out so does the dish but if you have a geny then you will be the guy in the know and comfort when you flip the switch.

??? When the power goes out so does cable, your box and your TV, so what is the point you are making with this comment? And I never lose signal because of rain.

And yes it is worth the switch.

Having come from cable I found the switch to be very worthwhile. The quality is far superior. Our cable is horrible but when I switched to Dish it seemed tons better but mainly due to the fact that I had no static or ghosting. With Dish you do see some compression artifacts though but it is still tons better than cable. I only lose my signal when it is a very heavy rain out and I then usually don't lose it long. When cable used to go out it was usually out for quite a while not 5 minutes like the Dish. Not to mention the Dish really doesn't seem to go out often at all. I would say less than cable in most areas. I'd definately make the switch.

This is just my personal opinion as 7 year E* customer I think you should be happy with E*. The E* is much better, from pricing, quailty to value.

Just with basic SDTV package you will notice better picture and sound and later being with them it gives you lot more flexibility to add more channels, DVR and (at this moment) most of HDTV then any other provider.

Remember, nobody is perfect and sure E* has its own issues but in comparison to Comcast you should definitely do it.

??? When the power goes out so does cable, your box and your TV, so what is the point you are making with this comment? And I never lose signal because of rain.

And yes it is worth the switch.
I think the point Van was making is that although a real bad rainstorm or power outage might kill signal from both providers, you can run the satellite system from a generator while all the neighbors are out both power and cable tv.

Down here with the hurricanes the two years previous to this one, the cable company was out for a week or more some places, we were watching Dish Network the instant I got the generator running. The cable guys wouldn't touch anything till after the power company was done with the neighborhood.

A DVR will change your life by the way. Don't skip that option just because it costs a little extra.

Here in the Seattle area, many still do not have cable because of the wind storm. I have both E* and D*, and never lost my signal.

It may still be a week or so before all cable is restored (along with power). I was lucky because I never lost power, but if I had, I could connect my satellite receivers to my generator and still have TV.

It can go either way,

(1) quality of install is important and its a blind crap shoot as to what you will get.

This is something IMO that is really worth considering. Things in that regard can go really wrong, you may have to wait hours for installation and hours for return trips as well. Your house may easily look like a mess afterwards if you get someone really lazy. I had to threaten them w/ legal action to get my things fixed and they still required 3 trips, as well as attempted to charge me an extra $100 on the last trip to clean up the horrible install done the first time. I also had to threaten that if they came with an outdated device they had planned to give me, I would turn them away at the door, not sign anything, and stay with cable. I don't regret getting Dish at all , but honestly if I was only saving $4/month long-run, I wouldn't have switched (and I wouldn't switch back to cable for $4/month either).

This is great information and I really appreciate it.

It seems as if the quality of the installation is critical. Should I get my installation done through Dish Network (by letting them send out a tech) or should I work through a local installer?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)