EPG info for OTA digital sub-channels is working!

Cyclone

Proud Stiff Member
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
Maryland
I noticed today that my EPG for Digital OTA channels on my 622 is finally listing program data for my sub-channels.

So my NBC affiliates 4.2 now says "NBC Weather Plus" in the EPG. The CBS and ABC affiliates now say "Weather Radar". More importantly, my PBS now has EPG for all 4 of its bit starved sub-channels.

Few flaws still exist. I'm in the Wash DC DMA. I get Baltimore channels at Grade A strengths. I do get good ole EPG data for the main channels (remapped from Analog) but still no EPG for those sub-channels.

Also "The Tube" on one of my DC channels is still listed as "Digital Service". I guess that one got over looked.

But still, this was one of my last great complaints about Dish's HD service. I'm glad to see its being addressed. The uplink report for 10/18 shows some of these channels. So perhaps Baltimore's data will just roll out a little later.

Congrats! Looking at today's uplink report, a lot of people got their subchannel guides today. They appear to be slowly rolling this out.

Cool! I'll have to check it out when I get home today.

Don't care much about the weather on 4, 7 & 9, but having the EPG for WETA PBS channels will be great....

My biggest complaint is that local broadcasters haven't already deleted these useless subchannels (weather, the tube, traffic cam); multicasting is a terrible waste of bandwidth. Personally, I would like to see E* add meaningful features like external USB storage, and the ability to queue multiple recordings for playback (makes it much easier to dump recordings to DVD-RAM).

Anyway, it's hard to believe but this simple fix has been more than a year and a half in the making.

Cyclone:

I gather you are referring to getting the OTA subchannel data if you pay for Dish LiLs. I was hoping you meant E* had decided to provide the OTA data to people that actually get their locals OTA, not thru Dish. Ah, well.

Yep, stay proud of that member. ;)

Cyclone:

I gather you are referring to getting the OTA subchannel data if you pay for Dish LiLs. I was hoping you meant E* had decided to provide the OTA data to people that actually get their locals OTA, not thru Dish.

Surly you jest?:rolleyes:

My biggest complaint is that local broadcasters haven't already deleted these useless subchannels (weather, the tube, traffic cam); multicasting is a terrible waste of bandwidth. <snip>....
That brings up a question I've had:

If a digital channel shows 4 or 5 sub channels, each with the same signal strength reading but only one of those channels is actually showing any programming, are they still using the same or similar bandwidth they would if all those sub channels were actually broadcasting something?

Which leads to the next question, if a station multicasts 5 sub channels in the woods but nobody's there to watch them, do they still use bandwidth?

Seriously though, I ask because my local NBC station scans out as 4 stations, all with the same low 90s signal reading but only one broadcasts anything and their network HD has been phenomenal - the best I've ever seen and way better than anything Dish has.

If a digital channel shows 4 or 5 sub channels, each with the same signal strength reading but only one of those channels is actually showing any programming, are they still using the same or similar bandwidth they would if all those sub channels were actually broadcasting something?

No. If a subchannel is not broadcasting, it's bandwidth assignment can be assigned a very small number. And even if the broadcaster fails to throttle back the bandwidth assignment, MPEG-II compression will essentially do it anyway since there are no frame-to-frame video or audio changes.

Seriously though, I ask because my local NBC station scans out as 4 stations, all with the same low 90s signal reading....
The digital channel and the sub-channels will ALWAYS have the exact same signal strength because it's the same "output". They come from the same location, same tower, etc.

NOT HAPPY YET . . .

In Omaha, I got the Independent Sub Channel guide data 6.2

But STILL NO GUIDE Data for

My Network TV Omaha 42.2
My Network TV Lincoln (near by DMA) 10.2
PBS HD Nebraska 26.1 2 3 4
PBS HD Iowa (near by DMA) 33.1 & 37.1
The Spanish channel 15.2 (forgot the network name)

Its hard to imposible to record things with out guide data. I would rather they fix the guide data BEFORE working on the external HD, after all I am paying a monthly fee for Guide data and what good is an external hard drive if you have no guide data to record with.

Guide Data is a top priority in my book. Thanks Sat guys for a place to vent, maybe dish will see this post and get to work.

Last edited:
NOT HAPPY YET . . .

My Network TV Omaha 42.2

Its hard to imposible to record things with out guide data. I would rather they fix the guide data BEFORE working on the external HD, after all I am paying a monthly fee for Guide data and what good is an external hard drive if you have no guide data to record with.

Guide Data is a top priority in my book. Thanks Sat guys for a place to vent, maybe dish will see this post and get to work.

What the hell would you want to record from those channels?:river

Give us the external HD, yesterday!

TitanTV

NOT HAPPY YET . . .

My Network TV Omaha 42.2

Check out TitanTV.com and see if list what's on the channels. Then you can set manual timers.

He never jests---- and don't call him Shirley.
nana.gif