Is my 522 dying?

bjthadj

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 24, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Forgive me in advance for the wordy post. I'm going to be as specific as possible to see if anyone can help.

Last night upon coming home to watch something recorded on my 522, there were no recordings listed in the "My recordings" section. On top it said I had 14+ hours of available space to record, but I know I had things saved on there from years back. After toggling through a couple more menus and having the device react VERY slowly, I gave it a reset holding down the power button on the front panel.

This brought up a "System Integrity Check" that took about an hour and a half to finish. When it finally did, everything loaded as normal. I checked my recordings, and they reappeared. I deleted some nonsense, thinking maybe the hard drive was just too full. Got it down to about 31+ hours of available space. Noticed a couple shows set to record last night only recorded for a portion of the set time. For example, a show that was supposed to record for an hour only recorded for 26 minutes.

Tried to watch something on the DVR, and the screen went black for about a minute, before trying to show the recorded program. It would jump around, pausing for about ten seconds at a time. This lasted for about 3 minutes before showing me the program was over when I hadn't even made it through the first segment. Obviously, it was totally unwatchable, but I just wanted to see how it would act. It was late and I was fed up so I turned it off and went to bed.

Woke up this morning and it was doing the same thing. I unplugged the device for about 3 hours today, and finally plugged it in a while ago. It took about 5 minutes to load up the first time, before self restarting to load up again. It has since been running alright but I still can't watch any programs I have recorded without it doing the same choppy thing from last night, even though it shows they're all there.

So, I guess I'm just wondering if there is anything I can do to get this thing humming again short of getting a replacement from E*. It's almost four years old, so I guess this was bound to happen eventually. Any help you have is appreciated!

Sounds like it. My old 522 had similar problems, after that I got an error code and when I called Dish it was a fatal error on the hard drive. They sent me another one for 19 dollars, but it all started with the recordings dissappearing.

Not sure if this is related or just coincidence, but I noticed a "new software upload available"pop-up box on my 510 a few nights back when I turned it on after getting home from work. I declined the install at the time since I wanted to watch tv. Last night, though, when I checked my DVR recordings, about 3/4 of them had disappeared. Some were years old and some were recent. Also noticed my avail. recording time had increased unexpectedly. Tried a soft reboot but the recordings are still gone. Anyone think these problems might software download related? 1st time I've had ANY type of problem with this 4-yr. old 510 box...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)