Is my beloved Hopper 3 dead?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Yes, it failed after working fine for decades. Just because it wasn't tested out to 3GHz doesn't mean that it didn't pass 3GHz for all of that time. If the H3 really requires the bandwidth you posted all of the time, then I think it did indeed pass 3GHz.
I can attest to that as I have several times before on this website. I placed a coax from my cable TV junction to my living room in 1987. Later when I moved to DISH that same coax got used to feed my first receiver in 1998. That same coax has since fed my 811, my 722, my Hopper 1, and my Hopper 3. I have had both Hoppers since their availability. Was that coax tested to 3Ghz, I definitely doubt it, there was no need for such a thing in 1987. But guess what, it still works!

Reactions: TheKrell and glynnp
I can attest to that as I have several times before on this website. I placed a coax from my cable TV junction to my living room in 1987. Later when I moved to DISH that same coax got used to feed my first receiver in 1998. That same coax has since fed my 811, my 722, my Hopper 1, and my Hopper 3. I have had both Hoppers since their availability. Was that coax tested to 3Ghz, I definitely doubt it, there was no need for such a thing in 1987. But guess what, it still works!

Nuff said :amen

Yes, it failed after working fine for decades. Just because it wasn't tested out to 3GHz doesn't mean that it didn't pass 3GHz for all of that time. If the H3 really requires the bandwidth you posted all of the time, then I think it did indeed pass 3GHz.
It didn't work on a hopper 3 for Decades

Reactions: dweber and navychop
Yes, I'm a customer and the customer is always right. I guess they didn't teach you that in DISH
installer school. I didn't expect to get into a penis measuring contest but you won.

My DISH installer is a pretty nice guy
The customer isn't right when it comes to how the damn thing works - and so am I, when some customer isn't trying to tell me how to do my job

Reactions: navychop
It didn't work on a hopper 3 for Decades
Mine has worked for 7 1/2 years. The Hopper 1 also required 3Ghz. My Hopper 3 has worked for nearly 3 1/2 years on that coax. I realize that the standard says 3Ghz is required and I agree it makes sure that things continue to work. However my situation is proving that the standard isn’t the end all...

Reactions: TheKrell
Mine has worked for 7 1/2 years. The Hopper 1 also required 3Ghz. My Hopper 3 has worked for nearly 3 1/2 years on that coax. I realize that the standard says 3Ghz is required and I agree it makes sure that things continue to work. However my situation is proving that the standard isn’t the end all...
I never said it was the end all. I didn't even say it was Glynnp's problem. All I said is that 1, Dish requires the Hoppers be connected with 3Ghz cable and 2, I've gone to a lot of jobs where the customer had Hopper issues, that weren't using 3Ghz cable and replacing the cable fixed the problem. Issues that were as slight pixelation to complete signal loss, to loss of Tuner 3 and so on. If it worked for you, great. You can put regular unleaded gas in an unmodified 2 stroke engine and it'll run fine... until it doesn't anymore, that's all I'm saying and beyond that, I take issues with people telling me how to do my job - when they've never done my job

I never said it was the end all. I didn't even say it was Glynnp's problem. All I said is that 1, Dish requires the Hoppers be connected with 3Ghz cable and 2, I've gone to a lot of jobs where the customer had Hopper issues, that weren't using 3Ghz cable and replacing the cable fixed the problem. Issues that were as slight pixelation to complete signal loss, to loss of Tuner 3 and so on. If it worked for you, great. You can put regular unleaded gas in an unmodified 2 stroke engine and it'll run fine... until it doesn't anymore, that's all I'm saying and beyond that, I take issues with people telling me how to do my job - when they've never done my job
I’m not sure anyone is telling you how to do your job. I don’t see that in any of the verbiage so far.

I’m not sure anyone is telling you how to do your job. I don’t see that in any of the verbiage so far.
No, I see people telling me - and arguing the fact, after I posted about often fixing issues based on substandard cabling, that less than 3Ghz cabling isn't the issue

No, I see people telling me - and arguing the fact, after I posted about often fixing issues based on substandard cabling, that less than 3Ghz cabling isn't the issue
I can see what you are saying and I respect that. But, everything is not black and white, sometimes it's gray. There is no argument to what you have been saying just that there are times that there have been no issues at all using what is deemed to be substandard cabling. This is not a personal attack on you or what the standard is. Please don't take it that way. :)

Reactions: HipKat
The big winner in all of this is the TV set. It has a picture again. It had to suffer that pain for
about 12 hours after cable was underground for 30 years inside a garden hose.

I'm guessing the ghz rating got swallowed up by water.

Grey area indeed...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)