Is my H20-100 bad?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bsk116

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
Too frikin far north
I have been reading many of the threads on this great forum for some answer's but I am becoming more confused the further I go. So I am going to ask several questions and hopefully some one can advise me.
I've been a sub for six years, love HD and have had minimal problems with service and hardware. My contract expires 2/2010. My zip is 04730. I have two H20's.
Because of a local tv station, WAGM/CBS is 45 miles away, they deny a waiver to let DTV provide CBS. So I buy and install an big ugly antenna on my roof, scan for channels using the H20 and it picks up four which is all we get. 90% of the time when I want to watch CBS OTA, I get the "searching for signal" message even when the signal strength indicates 88%. However, if I use my Sony tv tuner all the channels work fine. A friend across town has the same H20 receiver and the same problem. Also, my caller ID feature has not been working for over a year. So is the H20 defective or slowly dying?
Do you think DTV would replace the receiver without extending my contract another two year's?
If I upgraded to a DVR would I get the latest version or would it be whatever is available at the time?
Finally, regarding programming, I currently have:
total choice-no locals 50.99
hd extra pack 4.99
hd access 10.00
network abc hd 2.50
fox hd 2.50
nbc hd 2.50
leased receiver 5.00
sales tax 1.69
total 80.17
If I upgraded to a DVR, would It be wise to keep the same package and pay the additional 6.00 DVR fee or is there a similar package for less money?
I know E will provide a DVR HD package, equipment and install for less than I am paying now, do think D would be competitive with pricing?
Thanks in advance to any and all who can provide their expertise.

You'll get what receiver they have available. Just make sure you inform them you NEED OTA option. HR-21-23 don't have OTA built in. Another Upgrade is required for this option. Around $50.
If you go with a replacement HD receiver, a 2 year commitment my very well be required, Your better off Upgrading to a HD/ DVR if this is the case to make it worth wild.
As far as your Package goes, I would Subscribe to Choice HD DVR pack at $75.99 per month. That includes HD and DVR. But thats just me.

You'll get what receiver they have available. Just make sure you inform them you NEED OTA option. HR-21-23 don't have OTA built in. Another Upgrade is required for this option. Around $50.
If you go with a replacement HD receiver, a 2 year commitment my very well be required, Your better off Upgrading to a HD/ DVR if this is the case to make it worth wild.
As far as your Package goes, I would Subscribe to Choice HD DVR pack at $75.99 per month. That includes HD and DVR. But thats just me.

Hey thanks, I wonder if E is taking the low road also by not including a tuner in their latest generation receivers?
How does one know if they are committed to two more years?
One last thing, if I subscribe to 75.99 plan, would I have to add 2.50 x 3 for networks, 5.00 lease and sales tax? But not have to pay for 10.00 Hd access, 4.99 for extra pack and 6.00 DVR fee?
Thanks again hemi.

Hey thanks, I wonder if E is taking the low road also by not including a tuner in their latest generation receivers?
How does one know if they are committed to two more years?
One last thing, if I subscribe to 75.99 plan, would I have to add 2.50 x 3 for networks, 5.00 lease and sales tax? But not have to pay for 10.00 Hd access, 4.99 for extra pack and 6.00 DVR fee?
Thanks again hemi.
D* will let you know when you activate the new receiver if there is a commitment required. Most cases, there will be.
As far as Programming Yes , you still would have to pay for your DNS locals, and maybe they could give you 3-6 months free of the HD extra pack,
But yes, HD and the DVR fee are included. But locals are included as well, so maybe they will knock a few $$$ off the $75.99 since locals aren't available to you.
Your looking at
$75.99
$7.50 for DNS
$4.99 for HD extra
$5 for your addtional receiver.
$93.48 + Tax. But - locals fee, since you can't receive them. $3-5 discount.

Total Choice pack ,well its a grand fathered pack, So I'm not sure if your missing anything ,VS having Choice HD DVR pack. My Guess is your not getting atleast 20 other channels, (Unless you have Total Choice PLUS then your better off keeping the programming pack you have now.) Total choice is = to Choice and Total Choice Plus is = to Choice Extra and Choice HD DVR as far as the SD programming goes.

D* will let you know when you activate the new receiver if there is a commitment required. Most cases, there will be.
As far as Programming Yes , you still would have to pay for your DNS locals, and maybe they could give you 3-6 months free of the HD extra pack,
But yes, HD and the DVR fee are included. But locals are included as well, so maybe they will knock a few $$$ off the $75.99 since locals aren't available to you.
Your looking at
$75.99
$7.50 for DNS
$4.99 for HD extra
$5 for your addtional receiver.
$93.48 + Tax. But - locals fee, since you can't receive them. $3-5 discount.

Total Choice pack ,well its a grand fathered pack, So I'm not sure if your missing anything ,VS having Choice HD DVR pack. My Guess is your not getting atleast 20 other channels, (Unless you have Total Choice PLUS then your better off keeping the programming pack you have now.) Total choice is = to Choice and Total Choice Plus is = to Choice Extra and Choice HD DVR as far as the SD programming goes.

Close to a $100 a month, I guess I will visit the E website again before my contract expires.
As much as I like HD, that's more than I want to pay at the moment.
I certainly do appreciate all your comments Hemi, It gives me more insight on what I should do in the coming months.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)