Is my HIC installed wrong?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I had a 2H/3J system installed last Friday. The local installer I used didn't have a HIC on the truck so he ordered one and brought it by today to install. According to the wiring diagram, on a 2 hopper system it shows the HIC installed as a pass through to a Joey on a client line. Well the installer and I were both pressed for time (I needed to get back to work) and I don't have an Ethernet line anywhere near a Joey. So he wired it according to the 1 hopper diagram with a solo node. Which shows using a tap with one side going to a hopper and the other to the HIC. At the time everything seemed to be working correctly. We went to each receiver and clicked on broadband and they all showed the home network connection as "connected" and an IP address for each one.

Now that I'm home from work I've got some time to play around. I can go into On Demand and begin searching shows. But after a minute or so I get the "attention 145" error. Which states "server connection failure. The receiver is unable to connect to the network server. Please try again later". I have to think there's something in the HIC that's causing this. Over the weekend I had the same hopper connected directly with Ethernet and was able to download and watch shows On Demand.

One other thing. The installer didn't have a Dish tap on the truck (he thought he did). But he did have a high frequency Directv splitter. Could that be the problem? For some reason it works, but it seems to be intermittent.

Yes. I would bet a pay check that's the problem. The actual Taps are labeled on the out legs to the specific line. Client/host, with the client side going to the Joey, and the other to the Hopper.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Why wont my ford fuel pump will work in my chevy? Its still a fuel pump!

I would betcha that directv splitter is your problem....you need a tap.

Dishman1978 said:
Why wont my ford fuel pump will work in my chevy? Its still a fuel pump!

I would betcha that directv splitter is your problem....you need a tap.

So you feel like the way it's wired is probably okay? Im going to call him tomorrow. He's a great guy and I'm sure he'll bring a Dish tap. Hopefully that will fix the issue or I'll probably have to run some new wires.

Well the installer brought a tap by for me to try today. One thing I noticed when installing the tap was I was double dipping on the Ethernet. :)
I ran a line from my switch to the HIC and I noticed I still had a separate line running directly into the hopper. So I'm sure that wasn't helping things. So I unhooked the line going into the hopper, added the proper tap, and it seems to have fixed the issue (at least for that hopper). But I'm still having somewhat of an issue with the other hopper. I thought it was fixed at first because it worked for a lot longer than yesterday. But it eventually lost connection again. It lasted long enough to download a 30 minute show from on demand. But I've obviously got some issues somewhere. I'm thinking it has to be the way it's wired. Because the diagram for a duo node shows the HIC wired inline with a Joey, but I have it inline with a hopper.

smokey982 said:
Well the installer brought a tap by for me to try today. One thing I noticed when installing the tap was I was double dipping on the Ethernet. :)
I ran a line from my switch to the HIC and I noticed I still had a separate line running directly into the hopper. So I'm sure that wasn't helping things. So I unhooked the line going into the hopper, added the proper tap, and it seems to have fixed the issue (at least for that hopper). But I'm still having somewhat of an issue with the other hopper. I thought it was fixed at first because it worked for a lot longer than yesterday. But it eventually lost connection again. It lasted long enough to download a 30 minute show from on demand. But I've obviously got some issues somewhere. I'm thinking it has to be the way it's wired. Because the diagram for a duo node shows the HIC wired inline with a Joey, but I have it inline with a hopper.

You cannot have it inline with the Hopper. You must connect to the TO CLIENT port on the tap.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

isaacmorseMI said:
You cannot have it inline with the Hopper. You must connect to the TO CLIENT port on the tap.

You are correct. I completely misspoke (its been a long day). I don't have it inline. I do have it connected to the client port on the tap. But my concern is the diagram only shows it wired that way with a single hopper set up. I have a 2 hopper set up, which according to the diagram, it should be wired inline with a Joey. Does anyone know if that makes a difference? Should it still work properly coming from the duo node, to the tap, and then split into hopper and HIC?

I just tested the connection on a Joey and it seems to work fine. But that particular Joey is linked to the hopper I have the HIC attached.

smokey982 said:
You are correct. I completely misspoke (its been a long day). I don't have it inline. I do have it connected to the client port on the tap. But my concern is the diagram only shows it wired that way with a single hopper set up. I have a 2 hopper set up, which according to the diagram, it should be wired inline with a Joey. Does anyone know if that makes a difference? Should it still work properly coming from the duo node, to the tap, and then split into hopper and HIC?

I just tested the connection on a Joey and it seems to work fine. But that particular Joey is linked to the hopper I have the HIC attached.

Yes it still should work properly wired that way. It dosen't make a difference whether there is one Hopper or two.

smokey982 said:

The HIC can be anywhere in the system as long as it is on a client port, and all hoppers/Joey's should be able to see it. Make sure all open ports are terminated to prevent RF leakage. If there is an isolator in the setup, it might could cause the connenction issue, but I don't know this, haven't messed with any isolators.

Are you able to temporarily plug a hopper directly via Ethernet and see if all components receive a connection?

sperry85 said:
The HIC can be anywhere in the system as long as it is on a client port, and all hoppers/Joey's should be able to see it. Make sure all open ports are terminated to prevent RF leakage. If there is an isolator in the setup, it might could cause the connenction issue, but I don't know this, haven't messed with any isolators.

Are you able to temporarily plug a hopper directly via Ethernet and see if all components receive a connection?

The 2nd Hopper and it's paired Joeys will not have an internet connection if only one Hopper is connected directly.