Is my installer gouging me?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If the cable is coming from the outside wall outlet is very simple. Just cut that wire and stich a wall plate on it then attach wall plate with two wood screws to the wall. Done. I get wall plates for free from my company so I dont charge customer. Its free and takes a second. Not sure what charges everybody is talking about.....:confused:

Maybe I'm not as fast as Vurbano, but it would take me a couple of hours to install 5 wall outlets. The cost would be more in time than materials. Like I said, the installer was charging too much at $400, but it isn't a straight forward job.

It might take a novice a while to do it, but a Professional Installer should not only have the know how, but the right tools to do it pretty damned quick.

$400.00 is a rip of, plain & simple.

OK, I'm lost. In post one, the OP mentions "wall outlets", but then says no fishing is required. What does he mean by "wall outlet?"

Personally, I prefer to bring a direct line to the IRD, passing through a wall plate with a hole in it.

I have been known to use a plug, if there is a bunch of sh*t in the way, and the customer has shown no inclination to help out by cleaning up my workspace.

Occasionally, a customer wants a finished wall plate, with a barrel connector (IMO, something to break on down the line) in it.

I have also run across situations where the original installer didn't put anything at the wall.

To me, the term wall outlet denotes the cutting of sheet rock and installation of an electrical box on a stud. Not something I'd be interested in doing, but I can't see how that would be $400 worth of work, given that there are NO wallfishes involved.

So what exactly are we talking about here?

I guess this would be the appropriate place to ask this question instead of creating a new thread.

The DirecTv installer is coming over on Friday to install my dish. For now, I believe, this will just be the regular nonHD dish until I can save up some money for the HDDVR (not to mention I'm hoping he'll let me know if installing that big huge dish it at all is possible where I'm at). This is DirecTv's free installation if I agree to sign up with them for a year. That being said, my apartment complex doesn't allow penetrating mounts, so I think I'm stuck with the pole method, which is fine. DirecTv says that that isn't part of a standard installation. Which brings me to the question, if I'm paying extra for a pole mount, which I don't object to within reason, what is a reasonable price for a pole mount? I've tried to find the answer elsewhere but have failed. Thanks for any info any of you have, yet again for me :D

Heres the situation, I have been an installer since 1997 and when I first started I was a bit afraid I would loose a Job and if the customer wanted an additional outlet, a mirror or their off-air antenna hooked up for Free I would just do it.

One day abour 4 months after I started, there was this one lady who wanted all these extra rooms mirrored and I would probably say an hour install would have turned into an all day project. I added up all the labor and I only wanted like $100, she said she didn't feel like she should have to pay, and I told her I didn't feel like I should have to work for Free so I ended up just hooking up the one room that was on the work order.

One thing I found out from that day on, is that very rarely customers will pay anything extra for labor, so from that point on I started going off what it said on thw work order and when the customer wanted additional rooms I would tell them there would be a reasoable $25 charge. A few customers here and there paid me for my time, others just took the basic installation and it worked out better for me because I was getting home at 6pm instead of like 9-10pm at night.

When you go to a customers home for an installation, there are 2 things at play here, what the customer thinks the install should be included in a standard install, and what the installer considers a standard installation.

First thing that comes to my mind is telephone lines....

DISH Networks rule is that it gets hooked up within 25 feet of the jack, or the customer pays the $5 per month fee.

My rule is that its included with any dual Tuner installation.

The only reason why we include it as part of the install on my local Detroit installations is because I only have to ask the customer if they have a home telephone. If the customer has one, I do not have to disclose the fact they need to have a telephone line to avoid the monthly fee because we include the jack as part of the installation.

But getting back to the installation, a basic install includes mounting the Dish on your roof, and then running the cables on the outside of the home through an exterior wall.

Now sometimes depending on the home, its easier to run lines into a basement and then through the floor. In some of the larger homes, its even easier to run the lines from the basement, up the cold air return to the attic and then fished down the wall. However that is at the discretion of the installer.

As far as wall plates, I do not believe they should be required on a standard installation. A matter of fact your better not to have wall plates since its 2 less cable connections!!! However if the customer requests it I will put wall plates on exterior walls.

Very rarely we will do first floor interior wall fishes, however for a small charge I can do it. There are times where it makes more sense to cut out the drywall and to install a wall plate for free, especially in the case if the customer has beautifull hardwood floors and I do not want to risk screwing up the floor by drilling a hole.

Its like several years ago I had an arabic doctor in a million dollar who was keeping cable but getting the arab channels only on the Dish. He had a beautifull cherry wood built in cabinet and I refused to drill a hole in it to run the cable. I told him I would go in the basement and use a dioplexer and combine the cable and satellite so I do not have to drill into his cabinet.

He wanted a discount since I was using 10 feet of his existing cable, or wanted me to run all new cable because if I screwed up the hole I know he would have tried to get me to pay for it. We argued for an hour, where finally I packed up my tools and left.

I get back to the shop, he called back and said I could dioplex into his cable :)

Bottom line here is that $400 could have been just a number thrown out there by the installer because he didn't want to do the Job. It could have been $400 was actually the right labor and you simply found another installer who was willing to work for less money!

I guess this would be the appropriate place to ask this question instead of creating a new thread.

The DirecTv installer is coming over on Friday to install my dish. For now, I believe, this will just be the regular nonHD dish until I can save up some money for the HDDVR (not to mention I'm hoping he'll let me know if installing that big huge dish it at all is possible where I'm at). This is DirecTv's free installation if I agree to sign up with them for a year. That being said, my apartment complex doesn't allow penetrating mounts, so I think I'm stuck with the pole method, which is fine. DirecTv says that that isn't part of a standard installation. Which brings me to the question, if I'm paying extra for a pole mount, which I don't object to within reason, what is a reasonable price for a pole mount? I've tried to find the answer elsewhere but have failed. Thanks for any info any of you have, yet again for me :D

According to the docs I have from directv, the retailer charge for a pole mount is "not to exceed" $75.

Hey, that's hillarious. I was looking at this DTV manual, and a few paragraphs up from the big bold letters announcing the additional charges structure, it says in a smaller font that retailers are free to charge whatever they feel is reasonable.

Last edited:
Hey, that's hillarious. I was looking at this DTV manual, and a few paragraphs up from the big bold letters announcing the additional charges structure, it says in a smaller font that retailers are free to charge whatever they feel is reasonable.

Therefore, a second opinion would be the route to take. What he sees as reasonable, others see as ridiculous.

Could it be said that, in general, that if he wants to charge me more than $75 for a pole mount that I'm getting screwed by the guy? Or are there a lot more variables involved?

I would have to agree that 5 outlets is a really big job. You did say that no wall fishing is required so all of the above answers that refer to what it costs to "fish" really should not apply to your situation.

That being said, I think there is a limit to the amount of wire that is included with a standard "free" installation, something like 100 feet. Another consideration is what type of installation you are having done. You did not mention this, but, are you having DVR's installed? If so, you are talking about 2 cables to each receiver and with 5 outlets, this is a heck of alot of cable.

You also have to consider what the Doc said. How much wire are you talking about hanging on the side of your house? I used to work for Charter Communications and that required only one coax to each digital box and also the cable modem. This was before DVR's. Who took your inital order? If it was a "salesperson" then their job is to SELL you on DirecTv and they will tell you anything you want to hear to get you to agree to the service, including telling you that the installer will bring the moon with him if you want him to.

While $400 may be steep, there should be some sort of guideline that could be given by DirecTv regarding what the "extras" should be. The installation company probably has some sort of contract with DirecTv that dictates what they will do for a standard installation and what things are and are not included in that installation.

Only my view's,

5 rooms require additional cable which is not included in the standard install.
A different type of switch that may not be included in the standard install.
Extra labor not included.
Also the receiver is not included.

It may not be as unreasonable as you think.

I liked this thread, and found it a bit informative. But what I have been looking for some time now is, "What all is included in a basic install".

For some time now D* would not say exactly what that is, and had a disclaimer that it recommended additional premium install. Customer Service said also that they would also use "pre-existing wiring" if it was there. Yes, I know CS will say anything. And that was back in '05

A few months ago, I was looking around on the D* website, free installation just said "basic install". No description. Thats all

I looked it up today and it has a bit more detail to it.
It basically says "...technician who will properly mount, align and peak your dish on your roof, balcony or other location within 100 feet of your TV. The installer will only use DIRECTV-approved materials, including RG 6 cable, switches and connectors, and will connect your receiver(s) to your TV and DVR, VCR...and phone line...".

I do not mind paying x amount of dollars for x, when I know that is what is needed. But having a total stranger come up and say I need to pay for something that is included. I don't think so.

But on this board, I've seen several conflicting answers of whats standard and whats not. Like this thread..http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=80990

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)