Is my Joey defective or am I doing something wrong?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mike Russo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Connecticut
When the tech originally set it up he was unable to use MoCa and set it up with a usb/wifi thingy. No big deal I guess.
Worked fine for a week or so but now almost every night I have to power cycle the joey as it gets stuck on a "Looking for hopper..." screen. On top of that, the unit is extremely warm (dare i say "hot") as well.

Does it sound like I messed a setting up or the joey might be no good?
(I don't want to get charged for a tech visit unless I really need to.)

thanks

so there's no coax cable connected to the Joey anymore?

that would be an unapproved installation. A real tech should not be doing that. Call the tech or Dish to fix.

Mike Russo said:
He didn't give a reason why. No matter what he tried it was "failed" the tests or wouldnt connect, but Wifi worked fine. So he went that route after assuring me it was faster.

If it failed I think the Joey is defective or the tech screwed up your install. Coax is the best and most reliable route (also the only route approved by Dish). Wi-Fi isn't faster at all because when the Joey is connected to Coax it has its own dedicated network for the MoCA signals.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

so there's no coax cable connected to the Joey anymore?

that would be an unapproved installation. A real tech should not be doing that. Call the tech or Dish to fix.

There IS a coax but its using Wifi instead of MoCa. Tech made it sound like MoCa not working was normal and a software update would fix it.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll call tech support.

There IS a coax but its using Wifi instead of MoCa. Tech made it sound like MoCa not working was normal and a software update would fix it.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll call tech support.
you should be able unplug the ethernet cable/wifi dongle and get video through coax.

If he didn't do that, then that's completely against Dish's rules for installation. If it was a self install, then that's different and you can experiment as you wish. However, yours was an official Dish install so it should have been done right.

Most installs can even use RG59 for the Joeys, so i don't have any clue why he couldn't get it working over coax. The requirements are very low.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)