Is my Local Installer trying to rip me off? Charging an extra $150 fee.

If I go with a DISH installer, will they mirror the 2 extra rooms, and if they will do they charge extra? Geez, for the extra $150 this guy wants I could just get an extra dual tuner receiver for 30 months.

Mirror image rooms are considered custom work, and as such are subject to custom pricing. Think about it. What installer is just going to give away a pair of UHF remotes? Last time I checked, they cost $30 apiece. Not to mention time and materials involved.

I'm hoping the $150 that the OP stated is for more than just premium coax and mirror imaged outlets.

Why do you pay a plumber $150 to come and fix your toliet? Because they know what they are doing.

Why pay a local satellite installer $150 to do a quality install? Because he knows what hes doing.

Yes you could get a free install, but remember you get what you pay for. Read up here a lot of complaints about the quality of the free installs. The installers are paid to get your service up and running quickly, not to do to a nice looking, quality install job.

If you go free, chances are good that once they leave you will never see that installer again, however with your local installer will still be there to help you out. A problem happens with a free install (as we have seen) it can take 2 weeks or more for them to roll a truck to your house, your local installer can be there same day or the next day.

What you choose is up to you.

I have had to re-do all of of my free Dish installs because they were sloppy, poor signal, etc. Now, I just do it all myself.

I have RG 59 ran in our house,10 years old, seperate run to each room, it all terminates outside to Dual DP 44's for my 2 622's and 2 211's and 2 311s' and no problems.

RG6 Quad runs from Dish's to DP44's.

I don't think the $150 is out of line, but I would have gone with the free install 1st, knowing I could have probably fixed whatever didn't suit me.

I wouldn't pay that. I had an excellent install done by a recommended local installer. He asked for $20 because I needed a wall fish done.

Mike500 said:
Unfotunately, a all a majority of customers care about is FREE and that it works.

If that's al you want, by all means get the FREE instal.

Very few customers are technophiles and know what a really good install is comprised of. It's not just how it looks. Sure, neatness counts. But, it's not everything.

I only do high end installs. I've got an installed base of over 500 customers, non of whom, over the past 10 years, have called me on issues of bad connectors, bad connectors or loose mounts.

The $150 might be worth it, depending on how the install is done.
Oh yeah..most custs will bitch about having to pay 60bucks for a mirror outlet..
Those that want extra work try that "free install' crap..I tell them to read the fine print..it says free STANDARD install...anything deemed custom work or beyond the scope of the w/o is chargeable and payable on site...I have had people ask me if I can "bill" them..I actually laughed at a guy in his living room for asking that question....He was incredulous....I asked him what assurances do I have you'll pay?.....No response...I took a walk....

Scott Greczkowski said:
Why do you pay a plumber $150 to come and fix your toliet? Because they know what they are doing.

Why pay a local satellite installer $150 to do a quality install? Because he knows what hes doing.

Yes you could get a free install, but remember you get what you pay for. Read up here a lot of complaints about the quality of the free installs. The installers are paid to get your service up and running quickly, not to do to a nice looking, quality install job.

If you go free, chances are good that once they leave you will never see that installer again, however with your local installer will still be there to help you out. A problem happens with a free install (as we have seen) it can take 2 weeks or more for them to roll a truck to your house, your local installer can be there same day or the next day.

What you choose is up to you.
Thanks for posting that, Scott......I have grown weary of the premise many people have that we work for some unseen provider of money....I guess it is like that with any contractor in any trade...I look at it this way. If they spend 5 cents it's too much money..... I used to do all kinds of stuff as a courtesy..not any more..people in general are ungrateful whiners..So now it's "pay me"...

Many times I've had to repair ugly holes in roofs and leave them in vinyl siding after removing the so called FREE install attempts made by hacks.

How about romex staples nailed through the roof shingles?

An expert installer knows where to drill and how to drill and mount the dish with the least amount of problems.

rufusrex said:
Thanks for all the info. He did mention he would run copper core cable to the HDTV only, and at that price wouldn't "snake" any cable in the walls, so maybe he wants the extra money without doing the extra work. My house is 11 years old and each room has a dedicated cable run, but I don't know if it's RG59 or RG6. What would they do if it was RG59? Since it's a fairly new house with dedicated cable runs, wouldn't that make his job much easier?

I agree with the saying "you get what you pay for" but on the other hand if I am paying extra and need RG6 run how else would he install it? What would a "free" install do?

One other thing that was odd, when I asked him to write it all out he wouldn't. I guess that should raise a red flag.

If you already got RG6 run inside the walls all home run to a central point in the basement or utility room, and he will not include wall fishes in his custom installation, then you wasting your money!!!!!

I find it hard to believe he is going to run 1 receiver with Copper Core cable, and the other televisions with Copper coated steel. You either put in all copper core cable, or you don't install it at all. I have installers that keep a roll of dual and a roll of single cable on their truck, but its very rare for an installer to keep 2 different types of RG6.

Looks like to me your paying $150 for Copper Core Cable to the HDTV, and then what is he going to do when you have the wall plate already pre-wired with RG6? Is he going to re-fish the cable?

IMHO, if your going to run the cable inside your walls, then spend the extra money for the better cable. If your going to tack it on the outside of the house, or in a manner where it can be easily replaced, then go ahead and get the regular RG6 Cable.

Who says the $150 price is set in stone? Why not go back and tell him that you would like to acquire his services, but you aren't able to pay the price he quoted. Offer a counter of $100 or whatever, and see what he says. I am constantly amazed how often people will change their price. Or is there something you do or are you an expert at something that you could trade him instead of paying cash (e.g. like a free flying lesson, tax return, etc).

Also, if you are armed with some germane tidbits of information from this thread, such as Claude's post on how much the better cable costs per box, etc. Then that will let him know you know the true value of what he is offering, yet still willing to pay him some extra for profit. Knowledge is key.

This wouldn't work if the guy you are talking to is doing the actual installation, but if someone else from his company is going to do the install, then take off some of the "extras" off the table to lower the price. Then when the guy comes to do the install, offer him cash to do some of the extras on the side. This would be a win-win. You would get what you want at a lower price, and the installer gets extra cash in his pocket.

I know what you said about putting it in writing, but I would still try to get some things down on paper, like the one-year warrantee and 24 hour turn around. I would not expect him to put everything down on paper if he hasn't seen your house first. But still some things would not need a prior inspection, like the warrantee, to be written down.

But most of all you have to be willing to walk away from him, and go elsewhere in order to have maximum effectiveness.

Well, the deal is done. I agreed to his price of $400 for the install (-$49.99 activation credit when I sign up for 18 months and -200 - $20 per month for 10 months) so it nets out to $150 instead of "free". For "extra" work he has agreed to mirror 2 rooms (no extra remotes, did I get ripped?) and he'll tie in my rooftop antenna. He guarantees his work for 1 year and promised they'll take the time to do it right, no rush job. Overall, I think he is a little high, especially considering I don't think he'll have to run much cabling. If he does a good job I'll he happy, and you can bet I'll be watching him do the install.

What is the normal fee for doing a mirror?

I don't know what installers are making to do the "free" install from dish but if they dropped the price at all then the legit contractors who know what they are doing and do use quality parts would probably have to charge a bit more to cover their costs. There's always going to be a guy or a business that's willing to buy the cheapest parts available and do a rush job just to get the money, problem is that Dish can't possibly guarantee that each and every person performing these installs will do a quality job.
I'm in Canada and Express-vu an Star Choice also have such installers that will perform a free BASIC install. I've seen some of their work.....it's not pretty. I'm not saying there aren't some good ones out there, I used to do it and I know that I performed my installs to the same or maybe even better quality as I would have done for myself. I too have seen cheap coax stapled directly to shingles, you could easily see the cable draped over things, not neatly stapled or secured, dishes barely hanging on and signal cutting in and out.....the list goes on.

If this guy is willing to stand behind his work for a year and he's that close to you I'd say go for it. There's no reason why a good install should have any problems at all in a years time......even 5 years. He's put everything up front with you, he's not trying to add extra costs and then hit you with a bill later, that says a lot right there. As a person who takes pride in their work, it hurts to have people question you like that. At the same time, it is buyer beware and I know that the bad installers probably outweigh the good.

I did the "free" upgrade from Dish Network

When my installer showed up to upgrade me for "free" to a VIP 622 and send TV2 to a bedrooom that did not have Dish in the past I talked with him, asked questions and let him know that if he did a good job there would be a $$$ tip in it for him. Yes I got the "free" upgrade from Dish but after reading all of the stories here I wanted to make sure that the installer didn't do a rush job.

I got a great install that has been working fine for the last month and he made some extra cash that he got to pocket.

It comes down to what you are willing to pay for to reduce the hassles.

rufusrex said:
Well, the deal is done. I agreed to his price of $400 for the install (-$49.99 activation credit when I sign up for 18 months and -200 - $20 per month for 10 months) so it nets out to $150 instead of "free". For "extra" work he has agreed to mirror 2 rooms (no extra remotes, did I get ripped?) and he'll tie in my rooftop antenna. He guarantees his work for 1 year and promised they'll take the time to do it right, no rush job. Overall, I think he is a little high, especially considering I don't think he'll have to run much cabling. If he does a good job I'll he happy, and you can bet I'll be watching him do the install.

What is the normal fee for doing a mirror?

If you paid, he should run his own cable. I would (unless you specified otherwise). He's getting your money, Dish's install money, plus the commission. I hate using cable that I didn't install. You never know if some cable company knucklehead did something stupid like putting a splitter inside of a wall. If you have to track something down like that, well, there goes any time savings you would have had. Problem is, most homeowners don't want any other holes drilled, so there you are.

When you guys have questions about installers/companies, google the phrase "Satellite Company Rating and review system." Its a good way to avoid companies that don't pay their installers or play chargeback games. They'll have a high turnover rate and thus more noob techs.

One last question. The installer is coming out this afternoon, but I was reading the work order he wrote up and on it he wrote something like "installation of 2 Dish 500" - can someone tell me the quick difference between the 500, 1000 and superdish?

Thanks again

Yes, the 2 Dish solution will get you better all around signal strengths, so less chance of rain fade. so he is doing that part correct.

personally i would ask what kind of promotion you're going under.. if it's any kind of free for all promotion, you're purchasing equipment which would explain the charge... however, if it's through DHA, he's just charging you extra because he can. Standard installation with DHA comes with the equipment free (leased) for 4 rooms, including the installation. There's an upgrade fee with a 622 however, last I checked was about $199.

jokework said:
With a Dish install you have 90 days (I think) to get them back out as many times as you need to ... free of charge ... until you are happy with the install ...

Not true, if there's any additional work you want done, outside of the original installation, it's 99$, I found out the hard way.
[edit]90 day installation for service issues, is correct. [/edit] They will FIX any issues that's causing problems withyour service, not cosmetics.. When you sign the document they give to you, you're basically stating you're satisfied with the installation.. dont let them leave until you're happy, or at least, don't sign anything.

Heres a thought get the free installation and tell the installer to take care of you and you will take care of him. What ever happened to tipping?

rbsixpak said:
Heres a thought get the free installation and tell the installer to take care of you and you will take care of him. What ever happened to tipping?

My thoughts exactly. When my installer showed up for the free install, i just buddied up to the guy, asked questions because i'm somewhat knowledgable about satellite dish installs, etc...and did some prep work for him so his job would be simple. He ended up leaving me a lot of slack in the cable outside (about 25') so i'd have enough when I build my new deck and move the dish. He also replaced a bunch of fittings on the lines for the basic cable that is run throghout the house.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts