Is my SD-DVR40 dying?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Patrick G.

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2003
I've had DirecTV + a Hughes SD-DVR40 DirecTivo for a few years now. Lately, whenever I try to access menus via the Tivo button, it takes a several seconds before the menu appears, and then any actions (up,down,enter,etc.) either take several minutes each, or it will just perform one action, then freeze for 5 minutes and then reboot. Sometimes my Now Playing List will take a long time to register navigation commands too, but it hasn't yet frozen up completely and rebooted. So, luckily, recording and watching recorded programs isn't a problem (other than extremely slow menu navigation once in a while). I've already cleared Thumb options, so not sure what to do next. Get a new unit? Get a new hard drive?

Can someone point me to a walk-thru on how to replace the hard drive in this thing? I'd need to know what kind of drive to get, and exactly how to do it. Thanks!

Well, I just found this, and it appears to have resolved my issues:

1. Unplug your Tivo and then plug it back in

2. While it is powering up press and hold the pause button on your remote keeping the remote pointed at your Tivo. The front panel lights will turn off and then the orange light will turn on. Now you can release the pause button

3. Enter 57 on your remote

This should bring up what is called the Green Screen of Death, which says that your Tivo has discovered problems with it's file system and is attempting to fix them. It checks all the sectors on your hard disk and marks any bad ones so they will not be used anymore.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)