Is my tv ready for a 622 & hdtv ?

BIGHEAVY

Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
i have a sony 61hs10. in the manual it says " this tv is capable of receiving 1080i ,
480p, & 480i. this tv is not suitable for 720p" . just need to know if this is going to work.

thanks in advance:up

fyi, i have two component video inputs, one is being used for my dvd player and one is free

Last edited:
You should be good to go. I don't know what kind of connections your TV uses, but you need to connect the 622 with component or hdmi cables. Just set the 622 to output 1080i.

4:3 hdtv :(
It will work, but once you get used to hdtv you'll want to get a 16:9 set because you'll burn in black bars.

BIGHEAVY said:
in my menu it says i can set to 16:9 or regular. does this help me any?
Sure it does. Surely your Sony 61" IS a 16X9 set. 480i/480p/720p or 1080i doesn't have anything to do with the aspect ratio.:rolleyes: You're fine, no need for black bars unless YOU want 'em when viewing SD.:up
Ed

I know I've read this before but which is better 720 progressive scan or 1080 interlaced? Or is there not much difference?

BTW, one of our local stations just started transmitting at 720p. Watch Cast Away the other night and it looked awesome. My first experience with HD on my Plasma. Can't wait for my 622 to arrive.

BIGHEAVY said:
in my menu it says i can set to 16:9 or regular. does this help me any?
:) How about that, someone whose RP TV is similar to mine;) The answer to your question is YES you will not have any problems displaying HD on this set. I have a 61HS30 currently working with a 942 (soon to be 622) via component wires, we do not have a DVI connection on this t.v. Now when you get the receiver you have the option of setting the t.v. at 1080i or you can set the receiver at 480p. I know that 480p is not true HD, but trust me, the picture will look just the same and you will realize more real estate. It will display a stunning 55" picture. The reason the picture will look just as good is because of the DRC circuit which automatically up-converts anything being feed into it. http://www.avguide.com/tvs_displays/rear_projection_tvs_(rptvs)/sony/kp-61hs10/14.jsp One other thing that you can do to get a grate picture is to clean the rear of the screen (your going to have to open the back of the TV) and to have good convergence.

Last edited:
The 61HS10 is a 4:3 CRT RP HD-capable TV. It is subject to burn-in when watching a lot of 16:9 in widescreen mode, with that burn-in being in the form of having the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen not being used as much as the middle of the screen, and so they gradually don't burn down as much and become brighter than the middle.

If you still watch a lot of 4:3, then the burn-in rate will be slow. If it has a "gray bar" option where you can set those top & bottom black bars to display a medium gray instead of black, then that will also slow the burn-in rate.

Or you can elect to fill the 4:3 area with the HD image by zooming in (and cutting off the sides) or stretching vertically (and making everyone taller and thinner).

Personally, I would find some zoom mode I could live with and would watch some stuff in that 4:3 "fill" mode. But on good movies or top notch HD quality material, I would watch it in 16:9 with the black bars. Damn the burn-in and full speed ahead! Just make sure your settings for brightness and contrast are not overly high.

Nearly all of these sets (HD 4:3 CRT) internally convert 1080i to 810i for displaying widescreen 16:9, as they can't display 1080 vertical lines between the black bars. This set has a 960i mode, so perhaps they found a way to compress the spacing between the lines and display 1080i in 960i.

Theoretically your best picture should be produced with your receiver set to 1080i output, so that it is not downconverting to 480p. But on an older set, it is possible that the scalers in the TV aren't very good, so it is worth testing 1080i vs 480p output from the 622.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)