Status
Not open for further replies.

James

2004 NL MVP
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 6, 2003
John,

I'm looking right at a quarter with North Carolina and it says "First in Flight" right on it. Today driving back from Akron to Columbus I see all these cars with this plate on them.
OHund_2003bicent.jpg

I'm sure there is a reason, isn't there? The more I think of it maybe that's where the Dayton Flyers got their name huh?

The Wright Brothers are from Ohio, and were born here. Hell they even designed the airplane here.

But for some reason they tested it in North Carolina!!

I figured that much. A very close friend of mine works for Goodrich Corp with something to do with Airplane tires. I can't remember exactly what, but he is a structural engineer of some sort.

A fun fact is North Carolina and Ohio were in a big Court Case over the Slogans that were to be used on their state quarters.

Each state wanted to claim the "first" flight. So both ended up taking the generic way out with their slogans.

I think he works in Dayton or close to there. I'm not up on my Ohio geography. :D

Dgenx321 said:
The Wright Brothers are from Ohio, and were born here. Hell they even designed the airplane here.

But for some reason they tested it in North Carolina!!

The Wright Brothers tested their plane in Kitty Hawk, NC partly because they could launch off of large sand dunes with less risk of injuring themselves.

I live right between Akron and Canton.

Goodrich Aircraft Braking division is someplace here in Ohio. :?:

I used to work at Aircraft Braking Systems Corp.
http://www.aircraftbraking.com/

I think the aviation thing falls under....which was first the chicken or the egg

Makes sense John. Just was not expecting to see it.

It's too bad that the sight of the Write Borther's bycible shop (where they developed and designed their plane) in Dayton looks like an empty lot in the Bronx with a plaque in the middle.

This is a NATIONAL park at it looks like a war zone!

The Wright brothers went to Kitty Hawk for the sustained relatively high winds. The famous picture of the plane getting off the ground for the first time was actually a recreation. No one thought to take a picture the first time arount so they took the picture on a later attempt.

Also, ask any Brazilian and they'll tell you that the Wright brothers were NOT the first in heavier than air flight. It was Alberto Santos-Dumont (Doomon) according to them. Of course the fact he did it in 1906 had no bearing on it.

ALBERTO SANTOS-DUMONT: Father of Aviation

Picture of first European fight

See ya
Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)