Is slow channel changing when surfing normal?

Mr Ranger

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 19, 2004
A couple of years ago a switched from Directv to Dish. I have never been happy with the long delay when switching channels with the Dish system. Is this normal or would a differnt receiver help?

Mr Ranger said:
A couple of years ago a switched from Directv to Dish. I have never been happy with the long delay when switching channels with the Dish system. Is this normal or would a differnt receiver help?

What model receiver do you have? How long is the delay?

NightRyder

The delay is about two seconds. With Direct there was no delay. My receiver is a Philips DSK3061D.

Mr Ranger

Mr Ranger said:
The delay is about two seconds. With Direct there was no delay. My receiver is a Philips DSK3061D.

Mr Ranger

2 seconds is about normal. Don't know what receiver you were using for D* but any digital service I've ever used including D*, E* and cable had roughly the same 1.5 to 2 second delay when switching channels.

NightRyder

Mine delays just for a few seconds on the 811! But this is normal from what I have seen as does this on ditigal cable also.

I have noticed in the past that DirecTv receivers have a noticably less delay in channel changing than Dish Network. That is one thing I like about the DirecTv receivers over Dish Network. I wonder how the DirecTv DVR's compare to Dish Network DVR's with channel changing speed?

Are you people in that much of a hurry to get to the new channel? Jeez.

If it's for surfing, then use the guide. It's easier and faster, and is less likely to annoy the spouse.

Perhaps DirecTV should be recommended over Dish not only for sports fans, but ADD sufferers, as well? :D

The Dish DVR's do take longer to turn channels than the receivers without the DVR built in. Some people that switch off of cable are used to quick channel changing instead of the delay where the screen blacks out.

This is one of the main reasons why my mother will never use Dish Network again. I had set up a 3900 for her while she was visiting. The first thing she noticed was that channel surfing was extremely slow. I tried to show her how to use the guide but she repeatedly said that she just isn't good at learning technical things. What finally made her stop using the thing altogether was a power outage. When the power came back on after a few hours she turned on the TV but got no satellite channels. She just expected the picture from the satellite box to be there any time the TV was on just like cable, or the antenna she is now using. She told me she would never use it again and to just take it away.

I guess some people just need cable (or OTA) because it is easier.

Maybe this is why some people stick with cable, they are afraid of the satellite getting messed up and that it is a bit more complex to use and expensive to repair or replace if something happens.

Most older people are technophobes. They are afraid of anything new or different when it comes to technology.

My dad bitches because it takes 3 seconds to turn the channel with dish. I told him to use the guide and then he could get information about the shows in advance before he selected what he wanted to watch. He will surf around and watch shows from the middle or end and rarely watches from the beginning. I even gave him a 510 dvr and he won't use the recording features. He had used my stand alone tivo before with the ota antenna and Directv and he hated the fact that the Tivo would try to record things it thought he wanted to watch. ( I hated this feature too and turned it off) My mother can actually use it better than him and often will record shows she wants to watch.

All that being said I rarely will use all the computer technology because I really don't care much about it. I guess it depends on what you are interested in and how you use it or don't use it in your life.

If you start using electronics/computers earlier in life (such as the current young people) then they will be more used to it and more willing to accept it whereas the older people are used to things being simple.