Is something wrong with Samsung Blu-Ray player?

SatinKzo

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 22, 2004
Louisiana
At Bestbuy today I saw 5 Samsung BD=P1000 for sale, all had been returned, so they were selling at a discount, below PS3 pricing.

Is there something wrong with them? I have heard nothing about them being defective.

Bad rep for "soft" image quality. A firmware fix supposedly fixed it, but there are mixed reports on that. If I one day buy a BD player, it won't likely be a Samsung.

Alot of people are buying Blu-ray and HD DVD thinking it is going to be the perfect viewing experence and it isn't. I have the HD-A2 and the BD-P1000 and while the picture is good almost great it's nothing thats gonna make the sun rise an hour later. The A2 will go back also the BD-P1000(still have 17 days of the 30 days satisfaction crap)and I will get the BD-P1200 and maybe the XA2(XA2 out now 2nd generation Samsung out early March)but they are going to be the same,just tweaked a bit more the great players are 2 years away when they get the wrinkles iron out

Last edited:
Ah, I did some more digging and found some decent reviews of the Samsung. Yeah I see complaints of picture quality, but also compalints of a slow interface and bad response to remotes.
Those isssues would make me return one too.

Alot of people are buying Blu-ray and HD DVD thinking it is going to be the perfect viewing experence and it isn't.
What medium offers a better picture? Ive owned the A1 from launch and the picture is the best Ive seen from from any medium. Many at AVS report it is as good as DVHS.

At the moment nothing offers a better picture. I had the A2 and still have the BD-P1000 and I will agree that the HD-DVD had a slight edge(HD-DVD 90/100 Bluray 85/100)what I am saying is that people put down 500-1000 dollars and think it is going to be viewing nirvana they get it home and realize that while the picture is great they wonder if it is really worth the money they spent and knowing that in 18 months some of the players will be 250.00 they wind up taking them back.Talking to some of the sales people at Crutchfield's people just don't think that it is worth the money at the moment. I will be taking the BD-P1000 back just before the 30 days are up and wait for the release of the BD-P1200 with the HQV processer in early March pick that up and see how that is.

Last edited:
At Bestbuy today I saw 5 Samsung BD=P1000 for sale, all had been returned, so they were selling at a discount, below PS3 pricing.

Is there something wrong with them? I have heard nothing about them being defective.

I'm an HD DVD owner, so I'm not the best source of info on a BR product. But, I thought I've read that model is being discontinued for a new BR player from them. At the least Samsung has greatly lowered the price to move them out. I've read of deals for around $600 for a new player. You might want to check out online pricing for new players before settling for an open box returned unit - if you're really sure you want that model.

If you want a Blu-ray player right now, the only futureproof option is the PS3. No other early gen player is guaranteed to get the firmware updates needed to fully implement BD-Java and such.

Let me clear up a misconception. I don't want a BD player. If BD wins out, I will forgo a next generation player. I just noticed a bunch of the samsung players that got returend to best buy and wondered if there was a major defect that I had not heard about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)