Now that the war is over, are you buying a Blu-ray player?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Now that the war is over, are you buying a Blu-ray player?

• I am going to buy a Blu-ray player this week

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I am planning to buy a Blu-ray player within 3 months

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I am planning to buy a Blu-ray player this year

Votes: 28 18.5%
  • No plans to buy a Blu-ray player this year

Votes: 50 33.1%
  • Already have a Blu-ray player

Votes: 65 43.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Funny how for some people, upconverted DVD wasn't good enough- until HD DVD bit the dust. Then suddenly, high def doesn't matter, the old stuff is just fine.

"Stereo is just a fad!" :rolleyes:
Hi Def is better, we're not foolish but getting Hi Def via BD makes it not worth it. Prices to high and a very incomplete format. If your running scared of upconverters now then wait till the new cell based upconverters come out.

Hi Def is better, we're not foolish but getting Hi Def via BD makes it not worth it. Prices to high and a very incomplete format. If your running scared of upconverters now then wait till the new cell based upconverters come out.

Blah Blah Blah !!!

Would love to buy one - could not give you a time-frame though - it'd come down to price before it comes down to a timescale ...

Will have to be much closer to $200 - probably closer to $150 before i pull the trigger . and it'd certainly help if they brought back the 5 free movies .. i guess I'll be waiting a while ...

:(

Love Hi-def .. but not cannot justify paying THAT MUCH of a premium for it .. i will probably be canceling my netflix subscription until i can pull together enough $$'s to spring for one.

The $15-20 per month will go into my "blu-ray fund" and when prices get closer to $200 (or $250 with free movies) i'll probably be ready.

For the past few years I've been banking points at Jenkinson's Boardwalk in Point Pleasant, NJ.... Every time the kiddies went to play the crane games or skeeball, I was playing the video poker and blackjack games. Everytime I won points, I banked them for about the last 3 years.....

Now that I've moved back into my renovated house, I've been filling it with blenders, vacuum cleaners, and now a combo HD DVD/BluRay player... The Samsung Duo (which has the ethernet connection for automatic firmware updates).

So as of last night, I now own a BluRay player. I tested by HD DVDs on it and it works fine... finally have a 1080p feed for my Sony Black Pearl projector.....

Since my 360 HD DVD add on will be useless whenever they release the XBox 3, I figured it was a good time to get a good combo player. And since it was with stored points, it felt like Monopoly money......

So I've waved the white flag, but can still buy both formats. With the death of HD DVD, there should be tons of bargains in the next few months for content....

I'll keep renting HD-DVD's while available from blockbuster.com. Hopefully, that will get me thru until the next generation (cheaper) BR players.

I've seen Blu-Ray at the store, Yes, the picture looks sweet, BUT...
If I buy a widescreen version of a standard DVD, and zoom it to full screen, it looks good enough for me. :)

Maybe when my current player dies, if the prices are right, I'll bite, but honestly haven't given much thought to Blu-Ray ( Or HD-DVD when it was alive )

I bought a Panasonic BD30 from Onecall and expect it middle of next week. I'm keeping my HDXA2 AND last week I picked up an open box A3 @ BB for 75.00. Works great.

I bought a Panasonic DMP-BD10AK off E-bay. It didn't work. The seller refunded my money. I'm just going to stick w/ upconversion unless I can get a PS3 for around $200 (doubtful).

Blu-Ray player prices will come down unless Blu-Ray wants to become the next laserdisc.

I agree with the posters that the difference between Blu Ray and a good upconverted DVD is not worth the premium in price on the players and disks. I thought it was worth the couple hundred I paid for my A30, especially with the 7 free disks, and I have gotten a lot of great deals on disks at prices at or below the cost of standard DVD, so the premium on taking a risk on HD DVD was not that much, especially since I have a great upconverter as well now. The premium on taking a risk on Blu Ray (yes, still a risk as it still may never succeed in the mass market) is too expensive, especially for an incomplete format (feature wise). My price point is 200 or less for a quality profile 2.0 Blu player, and only if the format has gained much more mass market success and disk prices fall. It is not as if I do not have much HD to watch. Between my growing HD DVD library (when I can get a good movie at a bargain price) and my HD on Dish, I have plenty to watch, more than I have time to watch.
I personally would love to see Toshiba use the Cell based upconverting they showed at CES on their televisions to come out with an ultra high quality upconverter. It would protect the large investment that most of us have in our DVD collections, help extend the life of DVD's (helping Toshiba get more out of their DVD licensing), and give competition to Blu Ray without the risk of trying to sell a new format, which would hopefully help to get prices down faster. I do not know if they are even considering that, of if they could even do that for a reasonable price, but if they could do that it would be fun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts