Now that the format war is over.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Leprechuan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Now I’m annoyed.
I finally go HD with my DVD player and now the format war is over.
What do I do now with my Toshiba HD-A2?
Will Toshiba release firmware so it will read Blu-ray disc?
What do I do with my HD DVD’s I just got?

Yes, I am cranky.

Leprechuan

Now I’m annoyed.
I finally go HD with my DVD player and now the format war is over.
What do I do now with my Toshiba HD-A2?
Will Toshiba release firmware so it will read Blu-ray disc?
What do I do with my HD DVD’s I just got?

Yes, I am cranky.

Leprechuan

1. Keep your player and enjoy the movies you have and can still get + uplink your regular DVD's.

2. No firmware.

3. Keep them.

It is simply not possible for current HD DVD players to read Blu-ray discs with a firmware update. Their optical units cannot focus on the plane that Blu-ray discs are encoded on. Too close to the surface. It is conceivable that at least some Blu-ray players might be made able to read HD DVD discs (at least the movie part) with a firmware update. But I doubt it would ever happen.

Yes, the player is a good upconverter for standard DVDs. If you plan to watch standard DVDs for years to come, keeping the player may be a good idea.

Only you can decide if you want to get some money out of your collection by selling (with or without the player) - or that you'll get your money's worth out of it by keeping it and watching those HD DVD movies for years to come.

Eventually, your player will break and you won't find another one at a reasonable price to use to watch your HD DVDs. Probably many years off. Of course, eventually, we are all dead. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts