It's official: The Format War is Over! Toshiba pulls the plug on HD DVD

...Sony is currently making money on every PS3 being sold right now. And Sony did not lose billions...
Signature Joe post - nothing to do with reality...
Latest quarter report
Beyond3D - Sony reports third quarter earnings, gaming turns profit
Sony Computer Entertainment swung to a profit, after having incurred billions in losses over the past several quarters. Registering operating income of ~$133 million (12.9 billion yen) on record quarterly revenues of over $5 billion, an aggressive cost-cutting campaign in the manufacture of the Playstation 3 was the primary factor in coming out of the red. Playstation 2 operations continue to be the source of the largest profit for SCE, although operating profit from PS2 has declined on reduced sales of software for the system; profits generated from PSP operations themselves increased on increased sales of the hardware.

Summary:
-Sony did lose billions over the last fiscal year;
-PS3 still loses money (but less than before);
-PS2 and PSP made the gaming division turn profit.

Diogen.

But by then those DOCIS 3.0 modems will be fully entrenched. Many people will have up to 100 MB downloading by then.

Nonrev,

2009 cable modems will deliver 100MB, Baaa haaa. The new trend in Cable based internet is Bandwidth throttling. Comcrap and a couple of others are throttling back bandwidth to power users, and users that have a separate VOIP service through different providers. If you have Comcrap and download alot of movies or other content then you are VERY likely to lose at least half of your bandwidth. Comcrap isn't the only provider doing this, several more providers are also considering the same strategy, or huge surcharges.

100MB may come, but it will be expensive and likely severely throttled if you use it to download a lot of Video content that is NOT provided by your Internet Provider.

John

TO ALL HD DVD OWNERS, I THINK YOU WILL FIND THIS LINK VERY HELPFUL PLEASE CHECK IT OUT:

Convert Your HD DVDs to Blu-Ray - Wired How-To Wiki

This link is also interesting to Blu owners as well for media server possibilities. Now that the war is over, its time to mend wounds & pick up the pieces. I don't prefer Sony, but what the heck a consolidated format has its uses.

Most of the people in the US will not getting that kind of speed or bandwidth from their cable provider in a long time...

Nonrev,

2009 cable modems will deliver 100MB, Baaa haaa. The new trend in Cable based internet is Bandwidth throttling. Comcrap and a couple of others are throttling back bandwidth to power users, and users that have a separate VOIP service through different providers. If you have Comcrap and download alot of movies or other content then you are VERY likely to lose at least half of your bandwidth. Comcrap isn't the only provider doing this, several more providers are also considering the same strategy, or huge surcharges.

100MB may come, but it will be expensive and likely severely throttled if you use it to download a lot of Video content that is NOT provided by your Internet Provider.

John
There is throttling on the current backbone, but by the end of 2009 as I said with the new modems there won't be a need for the ISP's to throttle bandwidth. Other industrialized countries are far ahead of us with bandwidth. I see no reason with the tech available why it won't roll out soon. FIOS already provides fiber to the home the new 3.0 modems are needed to compete.

I see (with Joe’s crystal ball) soon where consumers order a hi-def movie with the set top box, its queued up within 2-5 mins and stream the rest. Then you’ll have the option to burn it to disk. Scientific Atlanta already has out a HD DVR with a built in DVD burner.

There is throttling on the current backbone, but by the end of 2009 as I said with the new modems there won't be a need for the ISP's to throttle bandwidth.

What 'backbone' are you talking about? Unless something changed since I left the network business there is no such thing, the internet is a bunch of different backbone networks owned by a number of different ISP's which interconnect with each other at peering points.

There is throttling on the current backbone, but by the end of 2009 as I said with the new modems there won't be a need for the ISP's to throttle bandwidth. Other industrialized countries are far ahead of us with bandwidth. I see no reason with the tech available why it won't roll out soon. FIOS already provides fiber to the home the new 3.0 modems are needed to compete.

What 'backbone' are you talking about? Unless something changed since I left the network business there is no such thing, the internet is a bunch of different backbone networks owned by a number of different ISP's which interconnect with each other at peering points.

Exactly. And any "throttling" is not on the backbone, it's at the access point. The ISP's still have to pay someone somewhere for their own access to the internet, which all of their customers then share.

In order to provide those kinds of download speeds to everyone they'd have to increase their pipe in turn, and pass those costs on to someone (you). In general, the cost of bandwidth is going down, but we're not going to go from 1.5Mbps-10Mbps (most people don't even have that much) to 100Mbps in one year - at least not for the average consumer.

Exactly. And any "throttling" is not on the backbone, it's at the access point. The ISP's still have to pay someone somewhere for their own access to the internet, which all of their customers then share.

In order to provide those kinds of download speeds to everyone they'd have to increase their pipe in turn, and pass those costs on to someone (you). In general, the cost of bandwidth is going down, but we're not going to go from 1.5Mbps-10Mbps (most people don't even have that much) to 100Mbps in one year - at least not for the average consumer.

100Mbps in one year, thats going to expensive as hell...it will be a long time until the price goes down for that amount of speed.
Let alone that, the bandwidth it would require...

For the record I don't believe that downloads are going to replace HDM for a number of years.

Regarding the bandwidth issue, IMHO compression technologies will evolve faster than bandwidth capacity will expand.

For the record I don't believe that downloads are going to replace HDM for a number of years.

Regarding the bandwidth issue, IMHO compression technologies will evolve faster than bandwidth capacity will expand.

What twisting are you guys trying. Obviously there will be a cooperative amongst the ISP’s or companies like Comcast was lying when they said 100 MB was to come. I didn’t say 1 year, I said by the end of 2009 the new 3.0 modems would be rolled out. Define backbone as you like.

Compression technologies will equally beneift downloads.

What twisting are you guys trying. Obviously there will be a cooperative amongst the ISP’s or companies like Comcast was lying when they said 100 MB was to come. I didn’t say 1 year, I said by the end of 2009 the new 3.0 modems would be rolled out. Define backbone as you like.

We shall see when the time comes...

Isn't MPEG4 compressed data already? Wouldn't that be like trying to compress a ZIP'ed file, sometimes you end up with a bigger file then the original.

By cooperative, don't you mean price fixing? ISPs, especially cable companies won't miss an opportunity to make tons of $$ off of small incremental increases in bandwidth. Unless some outside company comes along to start offering 100 MBs for under $50/mo., the cable cos. are likely to just throw an additional 5-10 MBs at us each year to justify $3-5 increases on our bill.

A large portion of the bandwidth would also likely be reserved for new HDTV channels anyway. Besides, will everyone be rushing out to replace their perfectly good modems to spend $100+ on a new one to get the higher bandwidth? Most people are only using the internet to surf and view online streaming content, for whom 1.5-5 MB/s is more than enough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)