Is System Hooked Up Correctly?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jrv331

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
NE Ohio
I had a 1000.4 system with a 722/222 (4 tvs) installed a few weeks ago. The installer had trouble peaking the system so I had a service call today to see if they could peak the signal. The guy that came out today said my system was hooked up wrong and started changing all kinds of wires and connectors.

I told the guy that from the day the system was installed I have never had a problem, other than an occasional lip sync issue. Picture was always perfect, he still continued making changes and by the time he left my signal was up about 10 points from where it had been.

I just need to know if it is hooked up correctly - I have tried looking at all the charts posted here but none describe my system. Here's what I have, both receivers are hooked up the same exact way:

From the dish the cable runs into a barrel connector then to a DP2 Splitter. The sat side goes to my tv1 connector in the house and the uhf/vhf side is connected directly to my tv2 cable. Inside the house the line goes into another DP2 splitter, the sat line goes into a Dish Seperator, these lines go to the tv1/tv2 connections on the 722. The uhf/vhf side hooks to the home distribution connector.

My 222 is hooked up the exact same way. I haven't noticed any difference in picture or sound quality sine the change.

The original installer was new and I was his first 1000.4 system so it could have been connected wrong, but it worked perfectly.

Im still with in my 30 day period and need to know if it is connected the right way now or do I need to get then back out?

Thanks for any and all help
John

If you did not have problems with the original setup, and the new one gives you 10 points higher, you should be better off with the current setup, Also, there splitter could be the DPP Separator used to feed both tuners on a dual tuner receiver, it allow less coax runs to your receivers and allows more receivers without the need for a switch.

From the dish the cable runs into a barrel connector then to a DP2 Splitter. The sat side goes to my tv1 connector in the house and the uhf/vhf side is connected directly to my tv2 cable.
John

This is the part that bothers me.... are you sure the "SAT" side runs into your house wiring? The "SAT" port should have the cable from the Dish connected to it.... the IN/OUT should be the side running into your house wiring to TV1...

The second tech was able to tweak my signal after re hooking everything up. My 61.5 signal is around 55 and the 72 is 60, much better than before.

I double checked and the connection is like I said. The line from the dish runs to a barrel connector into a Holland DPD2. The sat side is hooked up to the cable that connects to my tv1 connector. That connector is connected to a second DP2, the sat side from here goes to the seperator into my TV1/TV2 connections on the receiver.

Thanks
John

Last edited:
Just an after thought - given my current set up how would I go about hooking up another single receiver. Down the road Im looking to purchase a cheap used receiver for a spare bedroom.
Thanks again for all the help
John

The second tech was able to tweak my signal after re hooking everything up. My 61.5 signal is around 55 and the 72 is 60, much better than before.

I double checked and the connection is like I said. The line from the dish runs to a barrel connector into a DP2. The sat side is hooked up to the cable that connects to my tv1 connector. That connector is connected to a second DP2, the sat side from here goes to the seperator into my TV1/TV2 connections on the receiver.

Thanks
John

Ummm.... your outside diplexers(what you are referring to as DP2 splitters) are hooked up backwards right now. The Sat Port should be connected to the Dish...... behind the receiver sounds correct though.... Switch the Sat cable and In/Out cable on the outside diplexers. Leave the VHF/UHF alone.

If it was hooked up wrong, wouldn't he have problems on TV2 ? If everything works, it's fine.

OP, if you think it's wrong, pictures help.

The system will actually work fine for a while like this... until you turn both TV1 and TV2 on at the same time.

If it is in fact working like this, with both TVs on at the same time, then he is either misreading the diplexer or not seeing how the cabling is really hooked up....there are some pretty creative ways to utilize all existing cabling as I'm sure you're aware Dallas :)

I don't see how as TV2 will broadcast press select to continue with it being off, essentially it's on.

I'm guessing the with the drip loops it's just being mis-identified.

Just an after thought - given my current set up how would I go about hooking up another single receiver. Down the road Im looking to purchase a cheap used receiver for a spare bedroom.
John

Sounds like system is just fine. As far as another receiver goes, the LNB has a 3rd output for another receiver so just run a line from the LNB to the receiver you buy. Just remember, you HAVE to buy an HD/MPEG4 receiver for it to work (i.e. a 301, 311, 501, 510, etc... will not work so don't waste your money - you need a 211, 222, 612, 622, 722)...

as long as its working... its fine... If the diplexer was hooked up wrong either tv2 would be fuzzy, or you wouldn't be getting a signal.

John

you are an MPEG4 instal and any of the sd single tuner rcvr's will not work in your system...your only option for single tuners are the vip211/211k or vip612.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts