Is TCM now HD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

KKlare

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 18, 2003
Los Alamos, NM
On 4/20/10 TCM (Turner Classic Movies) went from SD to upconvert shown as HD but slightly smaller sized.

The logo for TCM now says TCM HD, so it HD or is it still the upconvert?
It is sometimes hard to tell the difference on old movies. Did I miss the announcement?
You can sometimes tell from the border of a HD movie shown there.
If it has changed I will start re-recording my archive of 759 movies and 47 that I only have in SD.

-Ken

I guess not based on Home From the Hill recorded 6/17 with a border and the smaller file size. -K

Last edited:
Well, one thing is for sure... the interstitials and promos are definitely still up-converts. And so is the movie playing now "The Barretts of Wimpole Street". Definitely not HD.

I watch TCM quite a bit, and I have yet to see a true HD movie. I will say on Eastern Arch the channel looks fantastic. But still no "real" HD.

806 movies?! I don't have 806 total movies archived, forget just films on TCM. Yipes!

Today's totals are 172 SD, 759 TCM upconvert, 1654 HD, 165 OTA. This does not include ~3TB of PBS and more than 2 TB of 25 "current" network series rated 8+ on IMDB. Now to find the time. About 11TB of storage with 80% to 100% filled. The price is getting right <$40/TB, better than pre-Thai flooding, but just need the money. Price seems to set a min of 2TB and Dish officially says max of 2TB.
-Ken

I don't think they're actually showing any HD yet. There's an ongoing thread about this over on the AVS forum.

Why they aren't showing any HD remains a mystery. It appears they're taking some HD masters, downconverting them to SD, and then upconverting to HD resolution.

The station does look good for SD, but it's not HD.

Scott

I can confirm that TCM is not currently available as a proper HD signal (I spend 8 hrs. there every day...although I'm not sure exactly why they're not doing HD).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts