Is the 622 suppose to switch from sd to hd automatically?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ZTaylor

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2004
Fairview Hts., IL
Im new to Dish. Just switched a few days ago from Directv.

Im very happy with my new 622 but have a question about it.

Ive noticed that my 622 doesnt switch from 480 to 1080 or 1080 back to 480 automatically. I have to go in a switch it in the settings menu. Is it suppose to do it automatically?
My old Directv H10 would do it, so I figured that this one would too.
I talked to the csr and he didnt know so he transferred me to an advanced csr, and he didnt know.

Does anyone here know?

Also on a different note, when I leave the setting on 480i and the 4x3 setting Ill get my HD channels to fill the screen. The picture looks sharp but Im assuming that its not in HD. So I was wondering if it was in HD or not? My tv is a 4x3 Sony.

Thanks for any help.

The 622 does not switch between the settings in the HDTV options automatically. When you have an HD source and the 622 is set to one of the HD settings you will automatically see HD, and it will display SD when that's what the source is. There's no reason to switch to 480i unless that's all your TV supports, which is apparently the case with your current Sony. 480i is not HD.

There is a fair amount of discussion in several threads about the 1080i and 720p settings, which is better and why - just "search" it and read what others have said about it. But you won't really see much difference other than aspect ratio until you have an HDTV. Time to upgrade that old TV...! (Use it for your TV2.)

Last edited:
Thanks for the help bhelms.
My tv is a HD tv and about 4 or 5 years old, its just not 16x9 widescreen. Back then I was afraid of getting a widescreen because most stations were in 4x3.
I guess that I was just used to going from 480i 4x3 and filling my screen, to 1080 16x9(although with the black bars) automatically with my old H10.

Last edited:
ZTaylor said:
Im new to Dish. Just switched a few days ago from Directv.

Im very happy with my new 622 but have a question about it.

Ive noticed that my 622 doesnt switch from 480 to 1080 or 1080 back to 480 automatically. I have to go in a switch it in the settings menu. Is it suppose to do it automatically?
My old Directv H10 would do it, so I figured that this one would too.
I talked to the csr and he didnt know so he transferred me to an advanced csr, and he didnt know.

Does anyone here know?

Also on a different note, when I leave the setting on 480i and the 4x3 setting Ill get my HD channels to fill the screen. The picture looks sharp but Im assuming that its not in HD. So I was wondering if it was in HD or not? My tv is a 4x3 Sony.

Thanks for any help.
Note that there is talk that a future upgrade will allow this switching to occur automatically for HDMI connected TV's. But currently it does not.

Yes, comcast boxes do switch too.

I have a newer 63" widescreen mits unit.

You get more tv format options for sd programs if they are in 480i or 480p. (Std, zoom, zoom plus, stretch, stretch plus, grey bar, normal).

The 622 keeps them at 1080i, leaving me less display choices (Expand or std), while the comcast box does switch, leaving me more display options for sd programming.

Wish the 622 did it too. And would remember the last resolution/format setting for sd and hd.

Phil,

My 622 and my 942, leave the format on sd and the format on HD. So if im using Partial Zoom on SD (my preference) it will keep that till i flip to an hd channel then it will flip to normal (my preference), and vice versa

The expand or STD sound like tv format options not 622 options. 622 has normal, gray zoom partial zoom and stretch.

I get these format options (*key on controller) regardless of the resolution and regardless of HD or SD.

gbjbany said:
Phil,

My 622 and my 942, leave the format on sd and the format on HD. So if im using Partial Zoom on SD (my preference) it will keep that till i flip to an hd channel then it will flip to normal (my preference), and vice versa

The expand or STD sound like tv format options not 622 options. 622 has normal, gray zoom partial zoom and stretch.

I get these format options (*key on controller) regardless of the resolution and regardless of HD or SD.

All the options I listed were tv options.

The ones you list are 622 options. I will try setting partial zoom on sd and normal on hd stuff. What I was saying though is that a 1080i signal gives me less options for setting display on tv formats, which is why I like my cable box doing 1080i for HD material and 480p for SD material.

The 622 sends everything in 1080i, even sd.

Some of the 4:3 HD sets lock to letterbox when they get an HD signal so if he tunes a SD channel it ends up boxed on all sides. I suggest making an additional S-Video connection and just switch inputs when changing channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts