Is the 622 worth it?

beliveauj

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 17, 2006
Let me ask another question.Is the Dish Hd Pkg.worth the extra money with the 622 or should I keep the 942 I have coming and have OTA hd instead.As you may or may not know I bought a 942 without knowing without already having a HD pkg.I can't get programing.Thanks Jim

I have a 942 with the old HD package and I don't watch anything but my locals OTA in HD. Occasionally I watch DISC-HD, but they seem to repeat and do not have the current shows as SD version. If you're like me, you may be fine with the locals subscription so you can get the guide data for the local OTA stations. I considered the 622, but couldn't justify the added HD package cost. Maybe as HD programming increases on the package channels, but not now.

I upgraded my leased 942 to the 622 about 2 months ago and I could have done without it. It seems that you always want what you can't have and then when you can have it your not happy with it. Yout get many other HD channels but to me they are not entirely worth it. I do like Monsters HD but other than that I only watch the others every now and again. I too use my more for local HD's than anything...

I'm of the other camp. I like VOOM and I almost never watch my locals, even though I get them all via OTA in HD.

In fact, I upgraded to a 622 about 29-30 days ago and haven't even bothered to connect my OTA antenna to the 622 to get my locals yet. I guess with college football season coming up that I will connect it sometime this week. All I have to do is screw on the coax connector.

I'm sort of in Tom Bombadil's camp; I like the Voom; but I also I like NatGeo; Discovery; HdNet; heck, I like pretty much all the HD (except the art gallery and fashion channels - can't say I have ever watched them! :) ) . And I watch my locals.

And I love my 622; it has only had a few hiccups, and has been a very good DVR for me - and will be even better when the external usb is available! I would love to have more than 30 hours of HD storage! (Assuming the DVR functions don't get turned off! :eek:

jetskier said:
I have a 942 with the old HD package and I don't watch anything but my locals OTA in HD. Occasionally I watch DISC-HD, but they seem to repeat and do not have the current shows as SD version. If you're like me, you may be fine with the locals subscription so you can get the guide data for the local OTA stations. I considered the 622, but couldn't justify the added HD package cost. Maybe as HD programming increases on the package channels, but not now.

You can still get the old HD pack? I pay for a years worth of programming at once. And called in recently to ask a few questions and I was told they no longer offer the old pack I would have to get the equivalent Silver HD pack.

I would rather keep my setup as is without upgrading the hardware and to the Silver pack. So are you saying I can keep the old HD pack.

purple1184 said:
You can still get the old HD pack? I pay for a years worth of programming at once. And called in recently to ask a few questions and I was told they no longer offer the old pack I would have to get the equivalent Silver HD pack.

I would rather keep my setup as is without upgrading the hardware and to the Silver pack. So are you saying I can keep the old HD pack.
I upgraded to a VIP622 a few months back but did not upgrade from 120 to the Silver pack. I kept my old HD pack, no problem.

Of course, it wasn't a great financial decision. Turns out that for just $4 more per month I can get Silver.

I am paid up for another six or more months since I have always paid a year in advance and guess that when I do upgrade to silver that this will end (and mess up my bill for awhile):eek:

Grandude said:
I upgraded to a VIP622 a few months back but did not upgrade from 120 to the Silver pack. I kept my old HD pack, no problem.

Of course, it wasn't a great financial decision. Turns out that for just $4 more per month I can get Silver.

I am paid up for another six or more months since I have always paid a year in advance and guess that when I do upgrade to silver that this will end (and mess up my bill for awhile):eek:

So when your prepaid runs out can you still get the old HD pack?

It's totally worth it to me but I don't get any HD OTA. I'm completely reliant on Dish for my HD programming.

I now watch/record more HD than ever before thanks to the VIP 622 DVR (up-graded from 942) and the Platinum Package. As a past VOOMER (39 HD channels) I thought it would be years before I could enjoy that many again! With my OTA HD Locals and Dish's 30, I'm really enjoying HD again.

The old HD Pak is no longer available. For some time, if you already were subbing to it and you upgraded with a purchased 622, they would let you keep it. There were two caveats: you would not receive any of the new MPEG-4 channels (real or headered as such), and once you ever gave up the HD Pak you could never sub to it again.

I kept my old sub when I first upgraded thinking it was cheaper. Then in the course of a technical call the E* rep asked me why I didn't upgrade from AT60 + locals/HD Pak/voom to HD Bronze + locals - same programming plus I would get the new HD channels, and it was actually cheaper! (Duuhhh!) So I went that way and I'm never looking back...

purple1184 said:
So when your prepaid runs out can you still get the old HD pack?
I believe so. The HD pack is paid monthly now. It is a moot point for me now as I have a new Dish500 arriving today from Dish Store which I will aim at 129 or 61.5 and then upgrade to the Silver package.

I am not looking forward to figuring out if they compute my new bill properly.:eek:

I don't know if they would allow me to subscribe to the at120 again on an annual basis. My guess is that they probably would not. I just wish that they would allow subscribing to the metal packages on an annual basis with the 12th month free like it was on the old packages.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)