Is the 921 ready for prime time?

Fred

Original poster
Sep 11, 2003
I would like to buy a 921, but only if it is sufficiently stable to please my wife. She gets annoyed with the 6000 1) when the HD OTA reception drops or freezes; 2) when you switch back to a satellite channel and it waits for satellite signal for a while before you can tune another channel.

If the 921 behaves any WORSE than this, I'll be in trouble if I get one. Assuming it passes the wife test, my next question: are there still problems with the basic PVR functions?

I've tried looking through posts here, but it's not clear how old (or new) some of the complaints are. Some of the comments are dated "July 2004," which worries me (it would mean I've missed my wife's birthday, and our anniversery).

The 921 still has its problems. Hopefully the next software release will fix some of the stability problems. The screen freezes on HD, however, may not be the receiver, but the signal.

I would wait a couple more weeks and see if the tone of the posts improves.

Not likely for any major improvement soon. Hopefully eventually. OTA is the biggest issue.

Of course, if you want a Dish HD PVR, it's all you can do. I'm semi-satisfied, but then again, I'm a high-end super-power-user techie-geek computer-jockey.

Fred, in all honesty, the 921 is not yet ready to pass "the wife test" as defined in your post.

Thanks

Thanks for the comments. I shall definitely wait a while. Good luck to you early adopters!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)