Is the A2 better than the A1

jgags6

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Rockford,IL
I have an HD-A1 right now and i love it, the only thing that i hate is it takes so long to boot up. Since the A2 prices are coming down pretty fast would it be worth buying one of these? What are the advantages of getting a A2 compared to the A1? Thanks alot.

I have the A2. It's OK but, My PS3 blows it away. The A2 is still slow compare to the PS3. It also sound like crap. A lot of noises when you load up the disc. The futures on it suck. Example, when you fast forward or rewind, is like a used truck. The PS3 is smooth and quiet. The only reason that I bought it is so I can enjoy the movies in HD. I got mine for 299 at amazon. If you already have a HD DVD player, why would you get another one. Buy the BR player. Get the best of both formats.

- Do you have the latest FW 2.2 installed on your A1? From Power-up to splash screen is just a little faster, but it's much faster once it's powered up - ejecting & loading a new disc, etc.

- I've read the A2 is 20-30% faster. I''ve never thought of it as that big a deal, I just plan around it - if I'm watching the TV and plan on watching an HD DVD later, just power up ahead of time. Or, if everything is off, just power up the player first, get my beverage, etc.

- Yes, only the high end XA2 has analog output, if you need that - which I do, but now that I've bought a PS3, I'm going to have to breakdown and buy an HDMI receiver. I have the Onkyo 605 on pre-order.

- I don't believe the A20 has HDMI 1.3. It can output at 1080p, but I believe only the XA2 has HDMI 1.3.

I have the A2. It's OK but, My PS3 blows it away. The A2 is still slow compare to the PS3. It also sound like crap. A lot of noises when you load up the disc. The futures on it suck. Example, when you fast forward or rewind, is like a used truck. The PS3 is smooth and quiet. The only reason that I bought it is so I can enjoy the movies in HD. I got mine for 299 at amazon. If you already have a HD DVD player, why would you get another one. Buy the BR player. Get the best of both formats.

Well, while I recently bought a PS3 I don't have it yet, so I guess I'll find out. But I already know now I have to buy a new receiver to enjoy the HD audio I've enjoyed from my XA1 for over a year with my perfectly fine 6 yr. old receiver. :mad:

Yes, I hear the disk loading up or when fast forwarding, but I doesn't remind me of a truck. I don't know about the futures on yours, but I like the features on mine - In Movie Experience & U-Control cool interactivity, and the internet interactivity coming with the Blood Diamond HD DVD. Blu-ray MIGHT have that in a year or two. :rolleyes:

But, I have to agree - I recommend patience on the slow loading on your A1 and consider going dual format. I don't see the blu-ray only studios going neutral anytime soon - nor Universal, and I'd rather enjoy everything in high def. I saw your post about waiting for BB points & coupons, but you might also look at eBay. There's a real glut of PS3's, and folks are dumping them $100+ under retail.

Even though I went dual format, I plan to continue buying HD DVD over BD, when given a choice. :up

- Do you have the latest FW 2.2 installed on your A1?

No i was waiting for them to ship me a disk with it on it. They shipped me the other ones w/o me asking so i was guessing that they would ship me this one too.

And about buying a ps3 on ebay, the only thing i dont like about that is most of the time there isnt an extended warrenty that comes with it, and with the 50% failure rate (or whatever it is) i really want that extended service plan.

They haven't sent me a disc since 2.0. I just use the ethernet so I can enjoy the great upgrades right away.

Yeah, they've always sent me the disk w/o asking; as I remember I filled out a card that was in the box with the unit. I haven't received anything since 2.0, but that's not surprising. It was only 3- 4 weeks ago that 2.1 was released via the Internet, and it was pulled becuase of all the complaints about problems it introduced for DVI connections - I complained loudly, and reverted back to 2.0 from the disk. FW 2.2 has been out for about two weeks, I would expect to see the disk in a week or so from Toshiba. FW 2.2 worked great for me. I saw a link on AVS to download the ISO CD image, so someone must have received a copy already.

- Yeah, eBay can be risky business. I'm supposed to get the original store receipt with my PS3, but you never know . . .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)