Is the HD DVD Group trying to lose?

MW390

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
I went to 2 Best Buys today trying to see if I could get them to match the Circuit City Buy2 Get1 Free. Even though both stores had equal shelf space, the BD disc were far more plentiful and many more titles on display. My question to you all are all the stores in your area the same. I mean I could NOT found Mission Imp 1, Bruce Almight, Liar, Liar. They didnt even have Chuck and Larry. Why cant Uni and Paramount shovie more titles out and why isnt the whole catalog for HDDVD in plentiful supply. Is it lack of manufacturing, Is BB holding back,or do the HD titles have a much shorter shelf life? Any WHY isn't CHristmas Story and Christmas Vacation not available anywhere especially now....comments???

I don't buy from BB, but new releases at my store are, for the most part, kept w/ the HD DVD display. Order Christmas Story and NL Christmas vacation from the Warner store and save 20% off 19.99.

S~

I went into our local BB last week to check out the HD DVD titles. This after checking at WM (small number of titles and always mostly out of stock) and Suncoast (many titles, too expensive). BB had about the same amount of shelf space dedicated to HD DVD as they did to BD. I didn't count the number of titles of either, but it sure looked like HD DVD had about 100 (are there that many out yet?) and multiple copies of each. Most titles were $24.99 and some $19.99, pretty competitive with WM. I was specifically looking for the Matrix triology, or whatever it's called. There is the 3-disk version, and the "ultimate" version with the 4th, special features disk. At Suncoast, it was $99.99 (I think that was for the 3-disk version). WM didn't have it that I could find. BB had the 3-disk at $79.99 and the 4-disk at $89.99. As a point of comparison, Amazon had them for $69.99/$79.99, and a used version of the 3 disk for $55, IIRC. So I will wait for specials in the stores, and I might start buying used versions of disks I want today...

(PS - I haven't been into CC yet - pending. And I noted that Suncoast is now selling used SD DVD titles, so I expect they might have used HD ones, both flavors, before too long as well. That might bring me back to them...)

Last edited:
Maybe HD DVDs sell faster and BB couldn't keep up with the restock? :p

I went to 2 Best Buys today trying to see if I could get them to match the Circuit City Buy2 Get1 Free. Even though both stores had equal shelf space, the BD disc were far more plentiful and many more titles on display. My question to you all are all the stores in your area the same. I mean I could NOT found Mission Imp 1, Bruce Almight, Liar, Liar. They didnt even have Chuck and Larry. Why cant Uni and Paramount shovie more titles out and why isnt the whole catalog for HDDVD in plentiful supply. Is it lack of manufacturing, Is BB holding back,or do the HD titles have a much shorter shelf life? Any WHY isn't CHristmas Story and Christmas Vacation not available anywhere especially now....comments???

I was specifically looking for the Matrix triology, or whatever it's called. There is the 3-disk version, and the "ultimate" version with the 4th, special features disk. At Suncoast, it was $99.99 (I think that was for the 3-disk version). WM didn't have it that I could find. BB had the 3-disk at $79.99 and the 4-disk at $89.99. As a point of comparison, Amazon had them for $69.99/$79.99, and a used version of the 3 disk for $55, IIRC. So I will wait for specials in the stores, and I might start buying used versions of disks I want today...

Get it from the Warner Store for $59.99 with the 25% off coupon code (NVBM) until the end of November.

Get it from the Warner Store for $59.99 with the 25% off coupon code (NVBM) until the end of November.

The Warner store allegedly has a grade of "F" from the Better Business Bureau. There are tons of threads complaining about them on both the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD side.

I would almost be tempted to pay the extra $10 than to take a chance w/ WHV.

I feel bad for you folks with no Fry's or Wal-Marts that sell HDM.

Fry's had several catalog Universal titles on sale for $13 on Black Friday. I finally got Shaun of the Dead to match the Hot Fuzz I bought off E-bay.

The HD-DVD studios have never done an en masse nation wide promotion at all retailers like Disney, Fox and Sony have for Blu-Ray movies. Toshiba and Microsoft need to write some more checks. :p I've noticed it's been those big 3. Lionsgate, Starz and other Blu exclusive studios haven't played. Neither has Warner.

Next week should be interesting. It's just low key day and date releases and catalog titles for both formats. Who's buying Old School?

I feel bad for you folks with no Fry's or Wal-Marts that sell HDM.

Ditto. These are just about the only places I will buy them anymore, other than from Amazon. Everywhere else is just too expensive. I usually try Fry's first, especially when there are BOGO sales going on, because they don't bother with making you buy one - they just cut the prices in half.

I was a little frustrated when I went on Wednesday and saw they had The Patriot and A Few Good Men on BD for $9.99 and didn't get them (got a momentary bout of conscience around Christmas time), then went back on Friday and they were back to $19.99. :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts