Is the HD quality of today really getting worse

SD also looks better on a smaller screen. The proof of the PQ is when viewed on a 60" or larger screen. There's a dozen reasons why the PQ has gotten worse over the years and the tide was slowed a bit with the introduction of Mpeg4. But the bottom line is $$$$$$. If they can decrease the PQ and increase the number of channels that puts more $$$$ in the bank. That would be their bank, not our bank. So, as long as the subs don't oink and complain too much the status quo will remain the same.

I have noticed on my 55" Vizio I need to run the HDTV's format in normal and my 722k's also for the best SD PQ, of course when the settings are normal the picture is smaller and normally not widescreen.:(

I have noticed on my 55" Vizio I need to run the HDTV's format in normal and my 722k's also for the best SD PQ, of course when the settings are normal the picture is smaller and normally not widescreen.:(

You mean you're not stretching it, and it looks better?? How strange...........:rolleyes:

Jhon69, that was sarcasim.... Stretching the picture should never look better.

So if the PQ is going down, is there any new technology on the horizon, like meg4 was, that can improve the PQ short of going to 1080P, which will never happen, or a higher resolution, neither of which is cost effective?

So if the PQ is going down, is there any new technology on the horizon, like meg4 was, that can improve the PQ short of going to 1080P, which will never happen, or a higher resolution, neither of which is cost effective?

Actually I read that the Japanese are working on Ultra High Definition that is supposed to be 4320p, which is 16 times sharper than today's hd is. Should become available between 2016 and 2020.

Actually I read that the Japanese are working on Ultra High Definition that is supposed to be 4320p, which is 16 times sharper than today's hd is. Should become available between 2016 and 2020.

At this time the 4th version of Hi Def. What we have now then 2 other steps then UHD HDTV(I-MAX PQ) . Industry will always be pushing for the next PQ boost. It's the never ending"upgrade monster" :)

Until we get to 4320p (7680x4320), the manufacturer's could also try to do 1440p (Wide Quad HD, 2560x1440) which 4 times the resolution of 720p and also 2160p (quad full HD, 3840x2160) which is 4 times the resolution of 1080p.

It really wont matter what resolutions the tv and equipment can support when companies like dish and crapcast neuter the hd signal with compression and reduced resolution. Its all about cramming more signal into existing bandwidth in order to extract maximum profit out of existing infastructure. The only saving grace so far is the switch to mpeg4 from mpeg2. If they allocated the same bandwidth they had now for each channel on mpeg2 the pq would be attrocious.

It really wont matter what resolutions the tv and equipment can support when companies like dish and crapcast neuter the hd signal with compression and reduced resolution. Its all about cramming more signal into existing bandwidth in order to extract maximum profit out of existing infastructure. The only saving grace so far is the switch to mpeg4 from mpeg2. If they allocated the same bandwidth they had now for each channel on mpeg2 the pq would be attrocious.
It will make a difference if the resolution they are compressing is higher to begin with. The problem will come if the newer resolutions will require new equipment from the broadcasters. That's why we are not seeing 1080P right now and probably never will.

Last edited:

As others have noted, the real solution is to not compress the beejeezus out of the picture (i.e. overloading the TPs) just for the sake of HD count bragging rights. Yet, I realize that's what most people want, so the trend will most likely continue -- even when new space opens up. The notion of truly good vs. good enough. Personally, I can probably live with a *slightly* down-rezzed signal if I'm forced to, but the ever shrinking bitrates are a bitter pill to swallow for *anyone* who values solid and superior picture quality.

Unfortunately, that's where we're at now, and other than shouting on forums like this, I don't know how to reverse the trend? Complaining directly doesn't seem to work, especially when the bulk of subs probably don't even notice (or sadly care). In the end, the PQ folks are made to feel like fringe lunatics...and as it stands...maybe we are?

Last edited:
It will make a difference if the resolution they are compressing is higher to begin with.

Unfortunately, with higher resolutions, even higher bitrates are required if the PQ is to maintain integrity (i.e. freedom from compression artifacts). Yet, the bitrate trend -- due to TP cramming -- seems to be going the opposite way, so................... :)

I think the compression or upgrading of signals might have something to do with it. I know that people were worried a few years back about features of their faces that they didn't like being more defined in HD. Once 1080p gets the pushit rightfully deserves. It will improve in my opinion.

The Fat Man said:
I think the compression or upgrading of signals might have something to do with it. I know that people were worried a few years back about features of their faces that they didn't like being more defined in HD. Once 1080p gets the pushit rightfully deserves. It will improve in my opinion.

Not really, depends on the source. Movies and dramas shot at 24p have no resolution loss at 1080i vs 1080p assuming your tv deinterlaces properly. In my mind 1080p is highly overrated unless you are talking content at 60fps such as sports.

Not really, depends on the source. Movies and dramas shot at 24p have no resolution loss at 1080i vs 1080p assuming your tv deinterlaces properly. In my mind 1080p is highly overrated unless you are talking content at 60fps such as sports.

I'm really still confused with the Dish VIP. On my Blu-ray (1080p, 24p) and my tv (1080p, 120 herts, 24p) I love the clarity. Dish only gets as high as 1080i and I wasn't aware that 24p was in use. My statement came from my knowledge of the Dish VIP, which I admit is novice.

ckhalil18 said:
Until we get to 4320p (7680x4320), the manufacturer's could also try to do 1440p (Wide Quad HD, 2560x1440) which 4 times the resolution of 720p and also 2160p (quad full HD, 3840x2160) which is 4 times the resolution of 1080p.

Can the naked human eye even detect a difference in those far fetched resolutions?

Can the naked human eye even detect a difference in those far fetched resolutions?
It depends on screen size and distance from the screen. I read a study several tears ago that using a 50" screen the human eye could not decern any difference from 8" between 720P and 1080i. It really boils down to all agencies involved in the TV product making suitable profits. That would be the bottom line after deducting equipment costs and demand for the higher quality product. You would also need to consider that the equipment in your homes, especially display devices would need to be up graded to accept the new technology. It may seem impossible but that's exactly what happened with HIGH DEFINITION not really all that long ago. Now go out and try to find a SD display or anything that's not wide screen. The times they are a changin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts