Is the Hopper Internet Connector compatible with an H3?

larryk

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
I'm a DTV sub, and I am looking to switch to Dish. With My DTV setup I use their Deca modules to connect my recievers/dvr's to the internet, and also use them to supply ethernet to those locations in the house that don't have wired ethernet. I see from reading the forums that the Hopper Internet Connector (HIC) serves the same purpose, and users also use them with a tap to also supply wired ethernet to the desired locations. So as the title states, is the HIC compatible with an H3?
I realize that both the Deca and HIC are Moca devices, but are not compatible with each other.
A second question, about the H3, If I'm going to use an HIC can one of the ethernet jacks on the rear of the H3 be used in bridge mode say to an ehternet switch to supply ethernet to other equipment in the same cabinet? (and saving the use of a second HIC w/ tap at that location?

The Hooper internet connector will not work, but the Hopper Internet Connector will.:D
The ethernet ports on the back of my previous Hopper w/Sling worked with other devices for internet, so I would assume it will for H3 as well.

You got me before I corrected it...:wave2
Thanks.
I assume that you can not do the same (ethernet port) with the Joey2
Anyone else doing this?

You got me before I corrected it...:wave2
Thanks.
I assume that you can not do the same (ethernet port) with the Joey2
Anyone else doing this?
That I have never tried, but my guess would be no on Clients.

I had the HIC running on my H3 for awhile, and then one day it crapped out on me. Been disco'd since, as it's a real PITA to get under my desk to plug back in.

I use HIC's with the Hopper 3 -- one in the wiring closet taking a tap before the Hopper 3, then one in the living room and one in the sunroom, each feeding a Joey and a switch for Ethernet devices in those rooms. So that certainly works; I've never tried using the Hopper 3 as a bridge.

That said, the HIC may not be officially supported with the H3 - I know my installer was dubious when I had my Hoppers swapped out for the H3, but it works for us.

Reactions: larryk
Thanks for the reply's. I don't have the equip yet (next week), so I'm just trying to get things clear in my mind (dangerous place).
gregleg, I'm going to place a 2nd and 3rd HIC at the 2 Joey's, how do wire the tap, you have node, host and client on the tap, my guess is incoming goes to node, host side to joey, and client side of tap to HIC?, then ethernet out of the HIC to whatever I want...

Thanks for the reply's. I don't have the equip yet (next week), so I'm just trying to get things clear in my mind (dangerous place).
gregleg, I'm going to place a 2nd and 3rd HIC at the 2 Joey's, how do wire the tap, you have node, host and client on the tap, my guess is incoming goes to node, host side to joey, and client side of tap to HIC?, then ethernet out of the HIC to whatever I want...
On the HIC you will connect cable from wall (client cable from Tap) to the Home Network HIC coax port, then a coax from Pass Through to Joey.

Last edited:
Reactions: larryk and gregleg
I had my install yesterday, and things went very smoothly. I had 1 hopper 3 and 2 joey's installed. The installer provided one HIC to supply the network to the dish equipment, and I just plugged my ethernet switch into one of the rj45's on the rear of the hopper. You can not do the same on the joey's, but I had purchased 2 additional HIC's (thanks ebay) and put them inline thru passthru to the joeys and the HIC's supply the ethernet connection to all of my additional equipment.
My voip, alarm system, security camera's, fire tv boxes, Echo... all came up with no problems.
So far I am very impressed with the boxes compared to DTV's genie equipment at almost half the price (for now).
Thanks for the help.

Reactions: gregleg
I had my install yesterday, and things went very smoothly. I had 1 hopper 3 and 2 joey's installed. The installer provided one HIC to supply the network to the dish equipment, and I just plugged my ethernet switch into one of the rj45's on the rear of the hopper. You can not do the same on the joey's, but I had purchased 2 additional HIC's (thanks ebay) and put them inline thru passthru to the joeys and the HIC's supply the ethernet connection to all of my additional equipment.
My voip, alarm system, security camera's, fire tv boxes, Echo... all came up with no problems.
So far I am very impressed with the boxes compared to DTV's genie equipment at almost half the price (for now).
Thanks for the help.
You only need to have your Hopper connected to the network. The Joey's get their internet connectivity through the Hopper via MOCA.

You only need to have your Hopper connected to the network. The Joey's get their internet connectivity through the Hopper via MOCA.
He's using the Hopper and the HICs to supply Ethernet to non-dish equipment, so he does need a HIC at each Joey location he wants Ethernet available to other devices.

Thanks for the help.
Glad that worked out for you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)