Is the Hopper learning?

Twice, and each time the skies were clear, I turned on the Hopper to find the SD version of AMC, and an HBO SD the other time. We NEVER watch ANY SD channels.

It is definitely not fine tuned now. I am not taking that into consideration at this time, because it does need work. This is an innovative feature that hasn't been done before. I was having this conversation earlier today, if Dish stopped trying to be innovative out of fear of pissing customers off, we would not have half the stuff we have now. There ultimately is two options with this feature... It gets fine tuned and becomes a standard, or it becomes a flop, and they remove it in the future, but I am impressed with the innovation more than anything. When it works properly, it should be a hell of a feature to have, and that is when people will come around. Just trying to see it from the idea makers viewpoint, and so far I like the concept.

Reactions: robstudio
Lively debate! I like Hall's responses.

Here's the situation: you have a user interface (UI) vs. user experience (UX) debate. Now, while I own a variety of devices on multiple OS's, I am not a 'fan boy' of any one of them. I am a fan boy of doing things right and a business having a "designed around you" approach. Dish kinda gets there but lets their vision (opinion??) get in the way of an ideal UX a lot of times.

Agree that you have to take (educated) risks and try new things and as a Dish customer I'm glad they do. But remember, my UX is not always going to be the same as someone else. Hence why you should allow for a certain degree of customization (no, not every single thing on the box!). The irony is that they already do, but to my point above, they let their own vision or ego or whatever trip them up into thinking some features are not important or a "though shall do it like this" attitude.

When they know that once you adjust to it, you won't mind it in the long run

Truth be told, they could take the same approach as that for the guide. Where there is no option to have the user change between ascending or descending order or view/hide the EPG. They pick one way based upon some sort of testing or user feedback they received and that's that. Majority rules, end of story. The UI does what it is supposed to do: moves the guide selections though all the channels. But the UX is bad as some like up and some like down. So they allow for the customization among a variety of other options we can turn on/off/whatever.

Look, the thing Dish misses is that they could have really cool features like this and be a market dominator. Meaning, instead of just touting on their commercials that they have more channels or their price is lower or their DVR capacity is huge, they should also be thinking "how can I make things easier for my paying customers and make it difficult to leave Dish?" To where you wouldn't think of leaving as the competition has no where near the things Dish service and equipment offers. Dish offers a service with competitors. We could choose one of a dozen TV watching options other than Dish in an instant. But if they think more about the UX and how customers interact with Dish equipment and not the UI (do it like we at Dish want) then it would be hard to leave.

Since this 'history' feature is not a component of the UI and can negatively affect a person's UX with their equipment, then it falls into a configurable category. Like it? Keep it on. Hate/inconvenienced by it? Turn it off (but they still track usage in case the user changes their mind).

It doesn't seem as though Dish stores this information at their end. It may only be in the receiver. Reason I speculate that is because we have a replacement receiver, one week old, and each time it's turned on, it's on channel 103. I guess this is a good thing too as Dish said they don't store data like this.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Well, if it's learning it needs to take some remedial classes because it surely didn't pass its EOG's!

I never watch TLC or Disney, yet it wants me to believe I do by turning to those channels when the system fires up. When I go to bed at night I turn it to my local news channel thinking that when I start it back up it will still be there. Sometimes it is and sometimes not! Slightly annoying.

Twice, and each time the skies were clear, I turned on the Hopper to find the SD version of AMC, and an HBO SD the other time. We NEVER watch ANY SD channels.

Ours keeps coming up on MTV or USA more often than anything. We haven't watched USA in months, and might only watch one program a week on MTV -- and never live, only recorded.

Hey, another way for Dish to get money from a channel. You pay us and we will have your channel come up every time someone starts their receiver. Dish has taken away more UI that I used on my VIP series than they have given me on the Hopper.

Reactions: Hall and TheKrell
A week and a half after my last post, my Hopper is still picking stupid channels. Unlike some here, I see no reason whatsoever why this feature shouldn't be disable-able. (If they really wanted to give the user choice, they could also offer the option I've seen on some other equipment: choose whether to turn on on the last viewed channel, or turn on on a user-selectable default channel every time. I'd get a lot more use out of that latter option than I would from what we have now, although I still maintain that last-viewed is by far the most sane choice.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts