Is the SWM LNB mainstream yet?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dishbd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Am looking to switch from Dish to DirecTV (have been for quite some time), but have wanted to wait until I know that when I get installed I will get the SWM LNB (or SWMline as I guess they are calling it). The way our house and attic are laid out, running a second cable is really not an option or something that an installer would be willing to do.

I would be looking to get a HD-DVR and one standard receiver for a second TV. And I live in the Atlanta area (in case it is still only rolled out in select markets).

Thanks in advance for any input!

It is being used for all new installs. Even my brother-in-law who lives out in the middle of no where in North Carolina got a SWMLine install when got he got D* hooked up at his new house.

I got hooked up on November 15th and they gave me the new SWM. You may need to check though if the new SWM will work with a STANDARD receiver. For example, they were going to install the older one when they found out that I had an older SD DVR. But when I told D* that I wasn't planning on using it anymore, they installed the newer one which worked fine with my HD equipment.

It is being used for all new installs. Even my brother-in-law who lives out in the middle of no where in North Carolina got a SWMLine install when got he got D* hooked up at his new house.

+1 :)

I got hooked up on November 15th and they gave me the new SWM. You may need to check though if the new SWM will work with a STANDARD receiver. For example, they were going to install the older one when they found out that I had an older SD DVR. But when I told D* that I wasn't planning on using it anymore, they installed the newer one which worked fine with my HD equipment.

What you are stating is a viable concern for existing customers. However, since the OP would be a brand new customer, every receiver D* would give him/her would be SWM capable.

The HD DVR would be either a HR21 or HR22. The HD receiver would be the H21. The SD DVR would be the R22. The SD receiver would be the D12.

All of these receivers are SWM compatible.

We will be moving to a house this June that is wired for cable. Our setup includes a HR20, D15, and a standard receiver. We will be adding another HD-DVR when the move takes place. I'd like to avoid drilling second lines to three rooms. Can they just run the SWM into the cable box on the outside and then use a splitter from the outlet to the two inputs on the back of the HR20 & D15? We've been out of contract for almost a year and have the protection plan. We are also paying for the top package w/ the HD pack. If it's not possible to use the SWM with those receivers, would they consider letting us upgrade them to newer models at N/C? (Of note, when we upgraded to the HR20 we sent back a H20 and were told they notated the account to give us a good deal when we added another HD box since we had just paid for the H20 in August and got the HR20 in October.) I guess technically we could hand them back everything, cancel, and have my wife open up a new account at a new address with minimal cost to us.

We will be moving to a house this June that is wired for cable. Our setup includes a HR20, D15, and a standard receiver. We will be adding another HD-DVR when the move takes place. I'd like to avoid drilling second lines to three rooms. Can they just run the SWM into the cable box on the outside and then use a splitter from the outlet to the two inputs on the back of the HR20 & D15? We've been out of contract for almost a year and have the protection plan. We are also paying for the top package w/ the HD pack. If it's not possible to use the SWM with those receivers, would they consider letting us upgrade them to newer models at N/C? (Of note, when we upgraded to the HR20 we sent back a H20 and were told they notated the account to give us a good deal when we added another HD box since we had just paid for the H20 in August and got the HR20 in October.) I guess technically we could hand them back everything, cancel, and have my wife open up a new account at a new address with minimal cost to us.

You would have to upgrade your R15 (which is what I think you meant; there is no D15) and probably your SD receiver (if not a D12) to SWM-compatible receivers. The only way to find out what kind of deal you can get is to ask Directv.

So the HR20 with the two inputs will work with SWM? Yes, I meant a R15. The SD receiver isn't a concern because the new HD-DVR would be replacing it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)