Status
Not open for further replies.

bbqman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 24, 2004
Alvin, Texas
I was thinking (thats scary) about this last night while watching some old family stuff. I have read where I think Phillips and another company have halted production on the vcr. Nowadays with all the capability of burning home movies and such on a dvd, the vcr is dying a steady but slow death.
It can still come in handy for time shifting. So with that frame in mind who actually uses or even still owns a vcr anymore.

I still own a few but I also purchased a Hard drive combo for the future, so as these machines die they will not be replaced with another.

Exactly what I am thinking (damn that word again). It seems like between htpc's and dvd recorders and pvr's the vcr is taking its last breadth.

Mine isn't. It is flashing 12:00 on the display like it has been for years. Don't remember the last time I used it but it sure ain't dead.

I see the VCR just like a cassette player. They have been around for a LONG time and still have a presence even though newer technology has come out.

I had no choice but to quit using mine when it quit working. Never bought another one. I use my DVR for the most part and if I really want to archive I can do so to a DVD or Hard Drive using my external tv tuner hardware and software.

My vcr is my only current means of time-shifting, but I never actually use it. I'm a bit of a tv junkie and find if I let myself record stuff I'll never pull myself away from the set. Hafta draw the line somewhere - so I've decided if I'm not home when it's on, I ain't watching it!
Having a job interview during the last episode of "Lost" really put my resolve to the test, but I held fast.

We dont even have a vcr in the house anymore. Rent movies from Netflix and pay per view....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)