Is their no way to have two online logins for 1 account?

DVKCal

Original poster
Jan 29, 2016
Elk Grove
It seems so ridiculous that I have to give other people in my household the billing login and password in order for them to use HBO Go. With Xfinity, you could create as many logins as you wanted and each one could use it, their was no need to give out private billing information to everyone in the household who wishes to login.

I can see why they would not allow multiple logins. I don't think it's ridiculous. What's to prevent you from selling your "second" password on Craigslist for $3 month to 1000 people?

It seems so ridiculous that I have to give other people in my household the billing login and password in order for them to use HBO Go. With Xfinity, you could create as many logins as you wanted and each one could use it, their was no need to give out private billing information to everyone in the household who wishes to login.

It's possible that Dish has no control over it and it was detailed in whatever agreement they made with HBO. The login is only suppose to be for the household of the account and I would think that information should be considered safe with whoever lives in your house. If they can't be trusted with a simple login for TV then you may have other problems on your hands.

Same problem I have with Dish Anywhere, even though you can set up a profile, and you can only run one session, you still need to use your man billing user to login.

It's possible that Dish has no control over it and it was detailed in whatever agreement they made with HBO. The login is only suppose to be for the household of the account and I would think that information should be considered safe with whoever lives in your house. If they can't be trusted with a simple login for TV then you may have other problems on your hands.

It not really just a TV login, it is the login for billing and everything. With it they can make programing and billing changes. If you have children in the household you don't want to give them unlimited access to our account. But you have to.

Don't get me wrong I am happy with Dish still, but I miss how on Xfinity multiple people could watch live TV while mobile. I could watch HBO live at the gym, and at the same time someone else could watch ESPN live in a car, and a third person could watch Showtime live on their mobile device. With Dish you can't do this. But it is all give and take, their are many areas were Dish is better too (more channels, better PQ, and such.)

Yes with Xfinity you can make logins for nonHousehold members, while obviously a violation of the TOS, Comcast does nothing to stop you.

It not really just a TV login, it is the login for billing and everything. With it they can make programing and billing changes. If you have children in the household you don't want to give them unlimited access to our account. But you have to.

I understand that and that's why I made the comment about trusting family members.

To some extent the OP makes a good point. However if you set it up for others they don't need to sign in again for some apps, for HBO GO you do every now and then so for children as an example they don't really need the sign in credentials. Also thinking about it, maybe DISH sees it as a deterrent to give your service to just anyone...

Seems like I remember some celebrity type at an awards show in the recent past who gave his HBO Go password to everyone on live TV.

Just want to point out that nobody "Has to give someone else their billing and account info". They can choose to give it to them for a better experience, but that is a personal choice. How well do you trust that person?

It don't work if its XFinity. Just tried.

What do you mean it doesn't work?

Comcast uses the Xfinity Go app, which has HBO Live and On Demand built in, which allows multiple accounts to be created and 3 simultaneous streams. It has 40 or 50 other channels that can viewed live too, such as ESPN, Showtime, Disney, Starz, CNN, and more. It is free to all Comcast customers. Obviously Dish is lacking in this area, and should consider offering something similar.

Last edited:
I think to allow more than one user at a time on DishAnywhre, Dish as to pay the content providers. Right now, the Sling tech and its legality that allow placeshifting without violating copyrigths allow DishAnywhere to work for one person at a time access and NOT have to pay the content owners. On-line Digital Rights is a different matter not related to "Slinging" our live or DVR'd content via DishAnywhere. I think Dish knows they have to address this limitation of ONE person acccess per account to be competitive, but it will cost money, so we will be paying for it down the line, I think. No question, in this era, there needs to be mulitple household members having access to DishAnywhre at the same time as others access it.

The interim solution could be a Slingbox for an additional user. The access by DishAnywhere does NOT affect the Slingnox access the sat box just like you were at home. DishAnywhre access happens in the background of the DVR, so both DishAnywhre and Slingbox can have access to the same DVR at the same time without interference. The DishAnywhere access would be like if a Joey were accessing the DVR and the Slingbox as if you were watching at the DVR in the next room.

Do you think Dish, Directv, or Xfinity really cares if you share your password so a friend or family member can watch HBO?

All they care about is collecting your monthly bill each month.

The only time any of these providers care if you share a password or stack an account is when doing so prevents another customer from paying a monthly bill to them.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Do you think Dish, Directv, or Xfinity really cares if you share your password so a friend or family member can watch HBO?

The only time any of these providers care if you share a password or stack an account is when doing so prevents another customer from paying a monthly bill to them.

These two thoughts are contradictory. If you share your HBO password with a friend, and that prevents your friend from having to pay DISH a fee for HBO, then DISH cares. That's the whole principle of stacking, so that one or more of the parties doesn't have to pay a fee.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)