Is there a 612c receiver?

CK SatGuy

Formerly ckhalil18
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
The Motor City
So I log in to my Dish account and out of curiosity I go to the "order from store" section to see what's there or if any prices changed, etc... Anyway, I read some of the descriptions for some of the items and something caught my eye. Here's a couple examples copied from Dish's website:

• Get the entertainment industry's first true seamless integration of rich web content and TV in one product. The Logitech Revue™ with Google TV™ provides a simple and easy to use Google interface and Harmony™ technology keyboard.
  • Compatible Receiver Models: 612, 612c, 622, 722, 722k
  • Receiver and Revue must be connected to broadband
  • $4.00 Monthly Integration service added to account at time of purchase
  • Limit of one (1) online purchase per account
  • Includes a one (1) year warranty from the date of purchase
  • Item is refundable if returned within thirty (30) days. Return shipping not included.

• Connects receivers to your broadband service through your wireless router so you can access and order thousands of online titles, ensure critical receiver data is current, and access your account through your TV.
  • Compatible Receiver Models: 222k, 612, 612c, 622, 722, 722k and 922
  • Item is not refundable

• Allows your remote to operate when in UHF mode.
  • Compatible Receiver Models: 222, 222k, 322, 381, 501, 508, 510, 512, 522, 612, 612c, 625, 622, 722, 722k and 811
  • Item is not refundable

So my question to DIRT is this: Is there a 612c receiver or is this just another one of those strange mistakes that Dish just seems to make from time to time?

It's a pre-development toy. Parts of it exist, because the last one I saw was in pieces. It shouldn't be posted anywhere because it hasn't been officially announced (which is why Raymond is currently firing off e-mails trying to find out what it is) and it's not ready yet. It may or may not even be released last I asked.

The small print is small for a reason ya know.

Maybe your info is out of date? For it to make into the accessories list, it would seem to be coming?

I also see a possible clue about it. Notice all the accessories that are compatible with 722(or K) models are also available for the 612c. But, the one accessory not for the 722(or K) but is for the 612, is not for the 612c. The Basic remote. That would indicate to me the 612c has something the 612 does not, but that the 722(or K) does....
If I had to guess, I would say a second tuner output, but in HD. SD would make no sense, that would be a 722....

(which is why Raymond is currently firing off e-mails trying to find out what it is)
Hehe, you know he is !! :) We'll see how quickly he gets to the right folks too by how soon the model # is pulled from the site.

And it's not "small print" either. It's the same size as all of the other text.

WOW! This is a serious security leak from Dish. I can't believe they were so careless. What this is, is a double secret, experimental receiver that the 612 is merely a prototype. More models will follow.

The 'c' stands for camera. It has a hidden integrated camera facing towards the viewer. It allows Dish to verify that the person watching the TV is actually the account holder. Anybody else might constitute account stacking and/or fraud and if Dish has an inkling that someone is up to shenanigans, a call from the Audit Nazis will be forthcoming. Multiple offenders can expect a pre-dawn visit from Charlie's jack-booted thugs!

I thought the "c" stood for Charlie. It's his own personal receiver with all the bells and whistles that we all have requested or discussed here that have been ignored or rejected for the end user over the years. :D

Maybe your info is out of date? For it to make into the accessories list, it would seem to be coming?

I also see a possible clue about it. Notice all the accessories that are compatible with 722(or K) models are also available for the 612c. But, the one accessory not for the 722(or K) but is for the 612, is not for the 612c. The Basic remote. That would indicate to me the 612c has something the 612 does not, but that the 722(or K) does....
If I had to guess, I would say a second tuner output, but in HD. SD would make no sense, that would be a 722....

...No. To make it onto the accessories list ahead of schedule, someone just needs to not be paying attention.

It's a modified single-tuner 622 with pip. Nothing CES worthy. I will never understand how so many people have time to read into minor details.

I received an email saying I was very close........with no mention it was a 622 or one tuner, quite the opposite a modified 612. I have no inside contact so I don't have facts, the emailer sort of is....... You may be right if you have first hand knowledge. I guess time will tell. And that's what we do here - speculate and pick up on little facts. Time and time again that has given us information before it is announced..... Sometimes we are right, sometimes not.

Last edited:
It's a modified single-tuner 622 with pip... I will never understand how so many people have time to read into minor details.

As Tampa8 said, we love to take on a challenge and speculate like crazy. ;) But do you mean a 612c is a modified single-TV 622 with PIP? I don't understand how PIP would work with a single tuner.

Yeah, he had to mean single-TV. The model number and the reference to PIP both would imply 2 tuners.

So it's a 622 with dual mode disabled, basically? If so, another completely useless change simply to support the convoluted fee structure since additional dual-output receivers now cost more.

But do you mean a 612c is a modified single-TV 622 with PIP? I don't understand how PIP would work with a single tuner.
Don't equate "tuner" with "TV".

My 722k has (4) tuners but only (2) (dedicated .... don't bring the 'whole house distribution' into this) TV outputs.

The 612c is a converted 622. Fee is same as 612. It is a single tv dual tuner DVR. Just like what the did to get the 512. Took 522s and disabled tv2. Or the 311k. And there is a 211z floating around somewhere I hear. A friend told me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts