Is there a DirecTV version of Dish Network EA?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

btrain

Original poster
Nov 21, 2008
Connecticut
Hello all. New to the forums. I have a question. A few months ago (early August I think), I had both Dish Network and DirecTV come to my house and try to install the system. I was planning to get the largest packages (HD and movies and everything), so I know they had to point the dish at a couple of satellites. Living here in Connecticut, there are lots of trees and I was not able to get LoS. But the Dish Network installer told me there was going to be a new satellite going up soon that would be much higher in the sky and I would be able to get that one no problem. To the best of my knowledge, that Eastern Arc satellite for Dish Network seems to be what he was talking about and I wonder if that would work? But, honestly, my first choice is DirecTV and I can't remember if the installer said there would be an option for them in the near future that was much higher in the sky that would work for me? So, my questions are:
1) Is there a higher angle option coming soon (or out already) for DirecTV?
2) Would it cover Hartford, CT locals? (I guess I'd be considered in the New Haven, CT market area).

Thanks and sorry if these are dumb questions or anything, but I'm new to all this stuff. Thanks! :)

No, there is no EA coming to DirecTV. The best you can do is with 99/101/103 oribital positions which would mean the dish needs to point towards the southwest from you. You would need one of the new KaKu 3LNB pickups for this vs. the old KaKu LNB which needed a LOS to 99/101/103/110/119.

what's the easiest way to know the angles those sats are at? also, how new is that new dish? would it have been an option when they came out in August? I seem to remember the installer talking about 5 satellites, but can't be sure...

Thanks!

To be honest, I'm thankful D* isn't doing something like what E* is with eastern arc.

It's crazy, duplicating a ton of content, expensive solution just to have an alternate look location for a group of customers that may have trees or something.

But that isn't the solution either, because they're really just using some of it to expand HD Locals.

It just doesn't make much sense.

To be honest, I'm thankful D* isn't doing something like what E* is with eastern arc.

It's crazy, duplicating a ton of content, expensive solution just to have an alternate look location for a group of customers that may have trees or something.

But that isn't the solution either, because they're really just using some of it to expand HD Locals.

BIG DITTO!

Completely agree. Then again, merging technology and "sharing" satellites is crazy too.

Actually it makes perfect sense for DISH to do eastern arc . Think about it . You have a lot of subs who can't see the 110/119 main slot do to bad look angles. The eastern arc 61.5/72.7/77 allows these subs to still go with DISH , so thats #1 reason. You also want to move your entire base to mpeg 4 technology and receivers, so this starts the transition and is the # 2 reason. So you start with the eastern arc which duplicates the core programming but in MPEG 4. You also can then add more hd locals in all MPEG 4. THen all NEW subs who take the eastern arc are given all MPEG 4 receivers . THis allows you to use the existing satellites you have leased space on and launched , to provide more hd locals using mpeg 4 . Once you get a good portion of the your subs upgraded to mpeg 4 in the eastern arc areas, you could start on the western arc subs (110/119/129) to upgrade to all mpeg 4 receivers. Once you have completed the upgrades , you could then duplicate all mpeg 4 programming on the western arc and you will have completed the mpeg 4 transition for all existing and new subs to the DISH service. This allows you to transition all subs to mpeg 4 technology at DISH's time tables and doesn't interrupt the existing subs who have the mpeg 2 receivers and who don't want to use hd at this time. This could take 3 or 4 years to complete and the cost to transition could be written off over time without a big expenditure all at one time. AS opposed to DIRECTV, who will have to transition all 17 million subs to mpeg 4 receivers if they ever wanted to go to an ALL mpeg 4 service.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)