Is there a real HD receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

slytrans69

Original poster
Oct 15, 2005
I am looking to replace my Pansat 3500S. I need a real HD receiver to go with my home theatre. Real HD is 1080P resolution. Not 1080I. The first television ever made used I. Interlaced scanning scans odd and even lines of resolution and flashes them on the screen according to its refresh rate. Progressive scanning scan all lines simultaneously and flashes them on the screen according to its refresh rate. Thus progressive scanning produces a noticeably sharper and clearer picture. Also an HDMI cable is required to carry the picture and 7.1 HD audio and satisfy the HDCP requirement for future recording and playback. It requires DVB S2 with an 8psk tuner. It there a receiver out there that will do this? If not, everyone must wait because it is a shame to hook up inferior inputs to a true 1080P home theatre system. AFAIK the global broadcasting format is going to be DVB S2.

Name one broadcast that is 1080P . There is no market for a product that receives non-existent signals. Broadcasters are going to DVB-S2, mpeg4 to save physical bandwidth ( less expensive for them). It would take a lot of salesmanship to convince them to increase their costs by putting BluRay over the air, when there are cheaper mechanisms ( Dish Network TURBO HD, for example ).
:)

i beats p

1080p looks bad when fast motion scenes are transmitted. Broadcasters (if any) prefer to use 1080i thanks to bandwidth limitations.

However; marketeers won't tell customers this as they can make more money selling 1080p big screens.

Bleeding edge technology can cost unwary customers an arm and a leg.

Real HD is 1080P resolution. Not 1080I.

What bit-rate do you propose is "Real HD" at 1080p resolution?

For an example, Blu-Ray's video max bit rate is 40 Mbit/s. I don't know what the studios are actually using as I don't have any Blu-Ray yet. Compare that to "HD" off a pay satellite which might be 8Mbit/s or less. (HBO HD is requiring 8Mbit/s as the minimum a provider can use) Assuming both are using H.264, the so called "HD" off a pay satellite is 80% less definition. Or you could say Blu-Ray has 400% more definition.

Personally I'm tired of what I call "High Resolution Standard Definition" programming. High Definition should be about the *definition* not just the resolution.

Today 1080i HD FTA receivers are used to watch feeds with bit rates that frequently are way beyond anything you'll see on pay satellite. I recommend a Coolsat 8100HD for the HD available FTA today.

the cup is half . . .

The way your post is worded, the requirements even exceed my shopping list for a good HD FTA receiver.
And since nothing meets my specs, for darned sure nothing meets yours. ;)

However, if you mean:
- digital or optical sound output, carrying whatever is being broadcast...
- upconverted video to 1080i/p format...
Then I think you might be happy.

Some few feeds may use Dolby E, and I don't know what could decode that.
Otherwise, your hi-fi system should be able to manage the sound found on other feeds 'n broadcasts.

Since nothing is currently broadcast (to my knowledge) in 1080p, you'd have to settle for 1080i, 720p, and 480p being upconverted for you by the receiver.
I suspect some of them will .
I have an RCA 5-disc DivX upconverting DVD player, and it manages some incredible pictures.

Right now, there is one HD receiver that blind scans at all (I think), but not in S2 mode, and I wouldn't take it for free.
Of the other HD receivers which will record video to a hard drive, there might be one that's stable.
Things do change with firmware releases, but I've not been impressed with the current products.

The receivers which also receive HD ATSC over-the-air broadcasts, do not use the available guide info!

The other side of the coin is that a lot of people are happy with what little the receivers offer.
They see the cup as half full, not half empty.
Those folks are buying hardware and watching signals you and I cannot.
So, are they wrong? They don't think so. ;)

Not even the HD network feeds are in 1080P, and I don't know when we'll start seeing progressive being used by broadcasters.

Blu-Ray is an entirely different matter altogether. Since most Blu-Ray (and HD-DVD for us purple people :D ) content is sourced from film, progressive transfers make sense in those formats.

The other side of the coin is that a lot of people are happy with what little the receivers offer.
They see the cup as half full, not half empty.
Those folks are buying hardware and watching signals you and I cannot.
So, are they wrong? They don't think so. ;)

Well put!

You might want to hold on your hat, since there's a prototype super hi definition at 4320p 60 or 50 FPs!!:eek::hungry:

This may shift employment patterns in Hollywood. What actress beyond the age of 20 is going to want to show off the tiniest details of her face in your living room? Talk about reality tv...

They will never have to worry about it, because 99% of people will be watching it on a pay provider, and we all know what they like to do is overcompress till it looks about the same or worse then the last standard.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)