Is there a test for signal in apartment without having directv to come out?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

earlers

Original poster
May 19, 2008
Hey All,

Is there a way for me to see if I can actually get a signal from my apartment without having directv come out and tell me no. I sorta face the south skies but i do have one little tree that is in the path. Is there some sort of test that I can do or buy to see if i will be able to get a signal?

Yes it is called a COMPASS you simply go into the menu of you satellite receiver and get the installation information for your zipcode. If you zipcode is 75009 and the azimuth is 181 degrees with an elevation of 52 degrees you use the compass heading of 181 is on your patio and half way up is 45 degrees so you can make a pretty good guess if you can see the satellites.

I don't have a dish or a receiver so that won't help me in this case. Seems like i have to go and get the dish to see if I can get the signal. I was hoping that there was a shortcut out there.

Hey All,

Is there a way for me to see if I can actually get a signal from my apartment without having directv come out and tell me no. I sorta face the south skies but i do have one little tree that is in the path. Is there some sort of test that I can do or buy to see if i will be able to get a signal?

The easiet way to do is walk out your apt. Look around and see if anyone else has a dish. If you see a dish see what direction is pointing than look at your apt.

Ha Ha, really had not thought about that . Good one!

It really simple. If you walk out your patio and you can read the writing on the dish so you unless you can put it on the roof your on the wrong side of the building

Well I actually saw a dish on my side of the building just this morning. The only problem that I see is that the person is on the third floor and i'm on the first floor. They have more adjustment to work with rather than my apt. I just don't want to call dtv and get my hopes all up and be disappointed. Oh yeah...I especially don't want to wait around the house all day for someone to disappoint me either.

Oh yeah...another reason I can't just use another apartment as a guide is that I have a tree with some leaves on it that may block my signal.

www.dishpointer.com

try the above website for all your sat needs. it's gonna show you the LoS path to the satellite. I can assure you 99.9% accuracy! :)

That site has definitely given me the motivation to proceed! I may have a leaves problem but I may can get around that!

That site has definitely given me the motivation to proceed! I may have a leaves problem but I may can get around that!

A box of Salt Rock Shells and a Shotgun will'doer'in.

Rent/Buy a Chainsaw or Axe... Throw a kegger... bet the drunk "I'll do anything guy" $40 that he cant/wont cut down that tree.

Buy a $100 Delta 88 and have some fun.

***DISCLAIMER*** The above comments are met strictly for humor purposes only and should not be taken seriously. In the event one of the aforementioned events does occur, the doer of such events can not and will not hold this poster liable for damages, criminal action or any other action taken against the doer. You do such actions at your own risk and assume any all liability.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)