Is there a way to disable the screensaver on Hopper shutdown?

It appears that your AV receiver is only listening to the audio portion, which makes perfect sense. Two potential issues is 1) the OP's receiver doesn't distinguish the audio and video pieces of the signal and 2) their receiver may not have an auto-off function. Certainly can't hurt to try though.

Can't be #2 as he stated: "I used to have directv and when I turned on my TV and Directv box, my stereo receiver would detect that it was turned on and would come on automatically. When I turned off the TV and Directv box, my stereo receiver detected it and would power itself down as well."

I meant a power-saving type setting, e.g. turns off after "x" minutes of inactivity. What you're referring to could be part of HDMI-CEC, yes ?

What you're referring to could be part of HDMI-CEC, yes ?

Correct. In his post he mentions that the AVR turned off when he turned the TV/DVR off. Normally auto off due to inactivity of some kind has a significant delay to it. Usually minutes (like my Bose system where it shuts off automatically after 15 minutes or so of no audio activity detected). HDMI-CEC is instantaneous.

Reactions: GaryPen
Most of the modern Dish receivers use something like 5W less when powered "off."
Your numbers seem to be a lot low. I think even the second generation Joey eats 7 watts.

I saw a post where someone measured the consumption of a sleeping ViP211K at 20 watts. The ViP622 slept at 42 watts. The HWS is about 50 watts when in standby.

Here's DISH's list of the latest models and their various power consumption figures:

http://www.mydish.com/support/energy-efficiency

I recently allegedly upgraded to the hopper from the VIP 922 I am a night owl and could select when the box took the downloads usually 700am when i went to sleep ,Now with the hopper i have to fight with it about 130am to shut down I do alot of delayed viewing to avoid the commercials , I go make a sandwich or watch a fta receiver and return to hopper and i have lost all my tuners i set specifically the box decides when to take a download or power save... I want my choices back
or at least to turn off the power save in the menus. How might i set up a harmony remote to send a command every 15 min to keep alive? . Silly isn't it ?,when you have to hack a so called feature that annoys you .

You can program the cancel button to be pushed every 15 minutes, but without something specifically stopping the message it will still shut down. This will just turn it back on after 15 minutes period completes.

thank you
think the select button would be the one that is required to say no to the shut down. i will try to pay more attention to the message and see if i have to hit left arrow then the select button to stop it .
Anyone please reply if you have more suggestions? or solutions

Your numbers seem to be a lot low. I think even the second generation Joey eats 7 watts.

I saw a post where someone measured the consumption of a sleeping ViP211K at 20 watts. The ViP622 slept at 42 watts. The HWS is about 50 watts when in standby.

Here's DISH's list of the latest models and their various power consumption figures:

http://www.mydish.com/support/energy-efficiency
He wasn't saying receivers use 5 watts in standby, he was saying standby uses 5 watts less than "in use."

That still overstates the difference though, power consumption is virtually identical standby vs active.

As do DIRECTV's outputs.

irrelevant.. I expect better from Dish :)

The video stays live with the equivalent of a screensaver/advertisement...

Looks like I can telnet to my AVR to tell it to power off... will set that up as a cron job to run ever night. crude.. but seemingly the only choice I have.

Looks like I can telnet to my AVR to tell it to power off... will set that up as a cron job to run ever night. crude.. but seemingly the only choice I have.
Seriously? Why not just use the AVR's remote, or use the Dish remote's AUX device function to power it off? Sure, it's a little more work than one-button off for everything. But, it's certainly better than what you are contemplating.

Reactions: Tron2012
My Hopper with sling remote will power down my tv and av receiver. I just have to push the one power button to turn all three on, but I have to push the power button below the main power button to turn off the tv and avr and the main power button to turn off the HWS. Try this, but you might have to have CEC turned on, on all three units, if all three units have CEC installed.
But, you are still only using the HWS remote.

Seriously? Why not just use the AVR's remote, or use the Dish remote's AUX device function to power it off? Sure, it's a little more work than one-button off for everything. But, it's certainly better than what you are contemplating.

you obviously only have geeks in your house... I have kids, wife, and grandparents that never seem to turn off the AVR... in a perfect world, the power save feature on the AVR would kick in after 30 minutes.. but the @#%#$^#^ screensaver prevents that from happening... so this very crude solution is the best way I have to at least keep the darn thing off for half the day.

you obviously only have geeks in your house... I have kids, wife, and grandparents that never seem to turn off the AVR... in a perfect world, the power save feature on the AVR would kick in after 30 minutes.. but the @#%#$^#^ screensaver prevents that from happening... so this very crude solution is the best way I have to at least keep the darn thing off for half the day.
Actually, it's not the screensaver, as has been pointed out earlier.

Have you checked the HDMI-CEC settings to make sure they are turned on in all of the devices?

I used to have directv and when I turned on my T....Any suggestions?

Guess maybe realgone is really gone as we have not seen him join back on his thread to answer some of the questions we have. :) The real answer is that person replying with the type of equipment they are using and how things are wired together. If you read their original post it seems they do have HDMI-CEC enabled as the AVR comes on with Hopper power on.
my stereo receiver comes on when I turn the Hopper on

But as we all know, Dish does not program the Hoppers to send out a power off signal. Only power on. But it will receive a power off command from other devices. We all can see that now if we have HDMI-CEC enabled on the Hopper and compliant devices. Use the main Hopper power button and the Hopper and other devices turn on, like a TV. Use the Hopper power button again to turn Hopper off and ONLY the Hopper turns off. Not the devices. No HDMI power off signal sent. However, if you use the TV power button on the Hopper or TV remote it will immediately turn off the external device (TV) but the Hopper processes the power off command with a 4-5 minute delay.

That's why I was hoping the original poster would confirm if he/she used the AVR or TV power off button and waited, if the Hopper would eventually turn off. Would answer their question about devices turning off automatically and eliminate the screensaver issue. But they would not be able to use the Hopper power off button to accomplish this. Rather, have to use the device power off command for the turning off of all devices. Eventually turn off. :biggrin2

Personally, I think a shortcoming of Dish's HDMI-CEC implementation to either not implement a device power off command from the Hoppers or at the very least take the incoming power off command from a device and process immediately. That long delay is annoying, illogical and totally unnecessary. They had it right once...for a month.

Actually, it's not the screensaver, as has been pointed out earlier.

Have you checked the HDMI-CEC settings to make sure they are turned on in all of the devices?

Why do you say its not the screensaver ? No where did I say I was trying to use HDMI-CEC (I've already seen that it doesn't work)

My approach is that my AVR is configured to turn itself off once inputs are idle for 30 minutes. The fact that Joey never stops sending active video (even when "off") prevents this from working.

Why do you say its not the screensaver ? No where did I say I was trying to use HDMI-CEC (I've already seen that it doesn't work)

My approach is that my AVR is configured to turn itself off once inputs are idle for 30 minutes. The fact that Joey never stops sending active video (even when "off") prevents this from working.
I misunderstood. I thought you said it previously shut down IMMEDIATELY after shutting down the DirecTV receiver. If it was a 30-minute no-signal shutdown, that's a horse of a different color.

Have you tried enabling HDMI-CEC in the TV and AVR? This might initiate a shutdown in the AVR when the TV is shutdown.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)